Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea Pandora's box - 02/26/08 01:31 PM
Etymology of "box" related to Pandora.
The original Greek word used was pithos which is a large jar.

pithos

The mistranslation of pithos as "box" is usually attributed to the 16th century humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam when he translated Hesiod's tale of Pandora into Latin. Hesiod's pithos refers to a storage jar for oil or grain. Erasmus, however, translated pithos into the Latin word pyxis, meaning "box".[1] The phrase "Pandora's box" has endured ever since. This misconception was futher backed by Dante Gabriel Rossetti's painting 'Pandora'.

Blame or shame on my otherwise much admired long gone fellow country-man, if this is true.

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 02:28 PM
box

Interesting word box. It comes from Late Latin buxus from Greek πυξις (puksis) '(cosmetic) box', which in turn is related to πυξος (puksos) 'boxwood tree', which also made it's way into Latin as buxus, and then into English as box in the sense of the tree. Pandora's name means 'all giving' in Greek.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 02:36 PM
and buxom?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 02:45 PM
Yes, interesting, but it takes years of grows to get a buxus as far as giving sufficient wood to make even a very small box.
If the mistake in translation is true (I got it from wikiP) and then I Googled Pandora's box - images, all those box related items (8.630.000) are mistakes too. Even though the variety is interesting.

And if I read well- out of the box came besides all evils of the world also - hope.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 02:52 PM
Seems to be: link and link.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 02:53 PM
and buxom?

Seems not (link).
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
and buxom?

Seems not (link).

thanks.

Pandora's name means 'all giving' in Greek.

all-giving box, eh?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 03:39 PM
all-giving box, eh?

Maybe Rasmus was on to something. Oh, those Dutch humanists.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 04:10 PM
What's a humanist?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
What's a humanist?

wikipedia on Humanism

some smart folks.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 04:33 PM
Humanism; history Guide

No, not just some smart guys. A way of thinking, living. Not only scholars and as Erasmus was so kind to show even great scholars make mistakes.
Posted By: Altadena Annie Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 05:00 PM
The version of Pandora's Box that I grew up with included, after all the evil things came out, one last thing left: hope. Don't know if that's part of the 'original' legend, or a westernized 'happy ending', but I distinctly remember all the evils of the world coming out, and after that a small little soft thing hiding in a corner... hope.

Is there a connection here with the Fall from Eden bringing all the evils into the Judeo-Christian world?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Pandora's box - 02/26/08 05:26 PM
For who's interested in a well written book about Erasmus and the Age of Reformation:
Book

Would you consider hope a 'soft ' thing, Annie? Well, maybe

I can't answer to Box = Apple, maybe the scholars can.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pandora's box - 02/27/08 01:02 AM
What's a humanist?

You've never heard of the secular humanist as media bogeyman? It's a bit of a media sound bite ...
Posted By: latishya Re: Pandora's box - 02/27/08 01:31 AM
What's a humanist?

You've never heard of the secular humanist as media bogeyman?

Nope. I've heard of secular humanists, and know a few, but have never heard of them as media bogeypersons. Is this another example of the same perception of bias against one's own beliefs/ethics/philosophy/thinking that has both Red and Blue convinced the entire fourth estate is one giant conspiracy agin them by t'other color? And has the religious convinced that the media is one godless cesspit?
Posted By: The Pook Re: Pandora's box - 02/27/08 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
What's a humanist?

Depends what century you're talking about.
Posted By: Sparteye Pandora's boxelder - 02/27/08 01:33 AM
Well, now of course I'm all curious about the etymology of boxelder trees (and bugs). A quick search didn't disclose anything helpful.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pandora's box - 02/27/08 03:31 AM
Is this another example of the same perception of bias against one's own beliefs/ethics/philosophy/thinking that has both Red and Blue convinced the entire fourth estate is one giant conspiracy agin them by t'other color? And has the religious convinced that the media is one godless cesspit?

Nope. Sorry.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Pandora's box - 02/27/08 03:41 AM
And has the religious convinced that the media is one godless cesspit?

You mean... it isn't?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Pandora's box - 02/27/08 04:11 PM
Posted By: Myridon Re: Pandora's boxelder - 02/27/08 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Sparteye
Well, now of course I'm all curious about the etymology of boxelder trees (and bugs). A quick search didn't disclose anything helpful.

The boxelder (Acer negundo, a type of maple) is named for the resemblance of its wood to the wood of the boxwood (Buxus sempervirens, et al). The boxelder bug (Boisea trivittata, aka maple bug) infests maples and ashes.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Pandora's boxelder - 02/27/08 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Myridon
... The boxelder bug (Boisea trivittata, aka maple bug) infests maples and ashes.

... and my rec room.

Thanks, Myridon.
© Wordsmith.org