Wordsmith.org
Posted By: latishya According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/15/08 07:37 AM
In my ad-supported version of AWAD today, I saw this ad:

Quote:
Subscribe to http://delanceyplace.com -- a carefully selected non-fiction book
excerpt free to your email each day. It's the thinking person's daily quotation.

Since my Google homepage is set to display several "daily quotations", I am in Mr Garg's debt for disillusioning me, and correcting my mistaken assumption that I am a thinking person. Dhanyavaad kuch nahin ke liye, Garg sahib.
Posted By: Faldage Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/15/08 11:06 AM
Interesting use of disillusion.
Originally Posted By: latishya
In my ad-supported version of AWAD today, I saw this ad:

Quote:
Subscribe to http://delanceyplace.com -- a carefully selected non-fiction book
excerpt free to your email each day. It's the thinking person's daily quotation.

Since my Google homepage is set to display several "daily quotations", I am in Mr Garg's debt for disillusioning me, and correcting my mistaken assumption that I am a thinking person. Dhanyavaad kuch nahin ke liye, Garg sahib.

wouldn't it be Delancy Place (which is great, btw) that is correcting you, not Anu?
Posted By: Maven Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/15/08 03:16 PM
Why take the complete opposite as the only option? Instead of non-thinking, possibly you're just poorly thought out.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/15/08 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Interesting use of disillusion.

but not unusual..

to free from illusion; also : to cause to lose naive faith and trust [MWCD]

-joe (disabused of all those notions) friday
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/15/08 03:59 PM
but not unusual

I took it he referred to its use as a verbed noun. Sticklers could backform a verb disilluse, ŕ la emote from emotion. "I hate to have to be the one to disilluse you but you're wrong!" I just might / could be wrong, though. Of course, correctlier, it could be disillude.
Posted By: Myridon Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/15/08 04:42 PM
Since my Google homepage is set to display several "daily quotations", I am in Mr Garg's debt for disillusioning me,

I hate to disillusion you (further), not only should you be thanking Delancey Place (for writing the ad copy)(as etaoin said) but your beloved Google itself for deciding to show it to you. Anu has done nothing but the equivalent of saying "Google, please put some ads here."

Perhaps you have given Google too much information...
Posted By: Faldage Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/16/08 03:15 AM
On the other hand, if you think you're sentient...

To paraphrase René Descartes, "I think I'm sentient, therefore I'm sentient, I think."
Welcome, latishya, to the wonderful world of AWAD. I hope that you find many things here to edify and entertain you. Much bashing of Garg sahib will not serve to increase your welcome.
Originally Posted By: Myridon
Since my Google homepage is set to display several "daily quotations", I am in Mr Garg's debt for disillusioning me,

I hate to disillusion you (further), not only should you be thanking Delancey Place (for writing the ad copy)(as etaoin said) but your beloved Google itself for deciding to show it to you. Anu has done nothing but the equivalent of saying "Google, please put some ads here."

Perhaps you have given Google too much information...

The ad was in an email from Anu, read in my email client, not in my browser. It was not a Google ad, which are always identified as such.
from your first post:

Quote:
Since my Google homepage is set to display several "daily quotations",
(emphasis added)

from what are we to infer from this?

and I repeat, it is Delancy Place that has disllusioned you, not Mr. Garg.

take your trolling elsewhere.
Posted By: Myridon Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/17/08 04:51 PM
The ad was in an email from Anu, read in my email client, not in my browser. It was not a Google ad, which are always identified as such.

Emails can be formed from web-pages or by processing web-pages.

I was wrong about it being a Google ad though. Those ads are supplied by calling AdSpeed not Google. Still, they are generated by an outside source.
Posted By: Zed Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/18/08 05:57 PM
Hi Latishya,
Since you are here now - welcome to the suburbs of Sentience City.
There are a couple of good bookstores, a cyber-cafe with a great dessert menu and a wide variety of neighbours who like to chat over the web-fence. Pooper scooper laws are rigidly enforced. If you don't feel like driving the LIU train takes you into downtown Sentience in just a few minutes. The only drawback is the nearby airport, I notice things whoshing over my head on a regular basis but you get used to it and they rarely drop anything on you.
Originally Posted By: Zed
Hi Latishya,
There are a couple of good bookstores, a cyber-cafe with a great dessert menu and a wide variety of neighbours who like to chat over the web-fence. Pooper scooper laws are rigidly enforced. If you don't feel like driving the LIU train takes you into downtown Sentience in just a few minutes. The only drawback is the nearby airport, I notice things whoshing over my head on a regular basis but you get used to it and they rarely drop anything on you.

heh.

/cheer Zed
Originally Posted By: Zed
Hi Latishya,

Thanks for the welcome. Apparently you forgot to list one other rule - any criticism of Anu Garg is trolling.
Thanks for the welcome. Apparently you forgot to list one other rule - any criticism of Anu Garg is trolling.

and you still haven't quite gotten it that it had nothing to do with Anu, it was Delancy Place that gave you the complex.
Posted By: Zed Re: According to Anu Garg, I am non-sentient - 01/19/08 01:19 AM
Justified critisism isn't considered trolling; it was idea of blaming innocent bystanders that got the reaction. Anyway the advertising industry would go belly up if they weren't allowed to hyperbolize.

edited for punctuation
Originally Posted By: etaoin

and you still haven't quite gotten it that it had nothing to do with Anu, it was Delancy Place that gave you the complex.

It's his newsletter, and he chooses the sponsors whose advertisements appear in the newsletter.
I stand by what I have written.
Latishya, maybe you are a bit over-sentient, which is always better than non-sentient.
There is more to "sentient" than just "thinking".I suppose you needed not feel adressed by the ad at all. And what's to an ad anyway?
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Latishya, maybe you are a bit over-sentient, which is always better than non-sentient.
There is more to "sentient" than just "thinking".I suppose you needed not feel adressed by the ad at all. And what's to an ad anyway?

Indeed. A passing comment on a carelessly-phrased ad branded me a troll. Oh well, ikke, ikke, ikke en de rest kan stikke, as a Dutch friend of mine taught me years ago.
© Wordsmith.org