Wordsmith.org
Posted By: mct919 Unusual professions - 04/02/07 02:18 PM
I work at Chaco in Colorado. My boss has the title of Minister of Sustainability and Human Resources. When I was hired as his assistant, I asked for and was given the title of High Priestess of Human Resources. It's on my business cards.
Posted By: of troy Re: Unusual professions - 04/02/07 02:55 PM
NYC has a resident Professional Nit Picker.

when kids come home from camp with head lice, and parents are too busy to groom them and remove all the nits, in come the nit picker... for a fee (a substansial fee!) she fine tooth combs hair, and completely de-louses.

not as grand a being a high priestess, but...
Posted By: kath Re: Unusual professions - 04/02/07 04:40 PM
Today's word, catchpoles, reminded me of an article I recently read in the the April "Smithsonian" magazine entitled, "Digitizing the Hanging Court." The 52 million words of the proceedings of the Old Bailey from 1674 to 1834 have been put into a searchable database at Oldbaileyonline.org. It is fascinating reading.
Posted By: MosesLiang Re: Unusual professions - 04/03/07 12:25 PM
During dot-com economy period,everybody seems worked in IT industry and has a job title like CEO(Chief Executive Officer).CFO(Chief Financial Officer),CTO(Chief Technical Officer)or CIO(Chief Information Officer)or something like that.I ever heard an old lady boasting as CCO.So strange to me until later I realized that she called herself Chief Clean Officer.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Catchpole - 04/03/07 01:40 PM
Did y'all notice the apt(r)onym in a usage quote for Monday's word?

"'Personal debt remains the single biggest issue that concerned Scots bring to their ... provision,' said Liz Catchpole, managing director of Liberata Life."

To Spend or Not to Spend? Sunday Herald (London, UK); Jan 26, 2003.
Posted By: olly Re: Catchpole - 04/03/07 07:52 PM
Hydrocarbon Transfer Technician = Petrol pump Attendant
Posted By: Analiese Re: Catchpole - 04/03/07 09:24 PM
The Indo European root of chicken (pau) reminded me of the German word for a peacock-- which is a Pfau. Does this mean that ultimately peacocks are just giant, nasty chickens with bad attitudes about tourists petting them?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Catchpole - 04/03/07 11:52 PM
I remember seeing a want ad for an offset stripper back long time ago.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Catchpole - 04/04/07 12:17 AM
a friend of H. L. Mencken, who happened to be an on-site stripper, wanted a snootier word for her occupation and he coined ecdysiast for her.

-joe (so the story goes) friday
Posted By: olly Re: Catchpole - 04/04/07 10:43 AM
'Personal debt remains the single biggest issue, Liz Catchpole.

aptronym:

a word allegedly coined by United States newspaper columnist Franklin P. Adams, refers to a name that is aptly suited to its owner.
Posted By: MosesLiang Re: Unusual professions - 04/05/07 02:31 AM
I wonder if you are from USA or not.In China now,especially among younger generations,a US TV play called<Prison Break>is extremely popular here.In the latest episode of Season II,in order to save his brother Lincon Burrows,the protagonist Michael Scofield asked a teenage boy called Chaco to help him to find a notorious drug dealer.Today I googled this word"Chaco" and learned the following:The Gran Chaco (Quechua chaqu, "hunting land"), dubbed by some as "the last South American frontier", is a sparsely populated, hot and semi-arid lowland region of the Río de la Plata basin, divided between Bolivia, Paraguay and Argentina".
Interesting I think.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Unusual professions - 04/05/07 02:42 AM
There's a Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.
Posted By: Curuinor Re: Unusual professions - 04/05/07 03:01 AM
Prison Break is still on in US TV. Chaco, subscribing to the fairly low standards of network TV, is simply a Spanish-sounding name. Perhaps related to Chico, "boy".
© Wordsmith.org