Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alex Williams tokology - 01/31/06 02:44 PM
I knew some guys in college who studied tokology. The class met every day at 4:20, snacks were served, and there was no exam because no one could remember the material covered.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: tokology - 01/31/06 03:06 PM

I learned about the 420 reference from indian friends in college. There was a particular professor whom they referred to as "char so beese" (hindi for 420). They explained that it was shorthand for a consummate phoney and would be well-understood by anyone immersed in contemporary hindi culture.
Posted By: Alex Williams 4:20 - 01/31/06 03:19 PM
Sounds completely different from the "Californian" interpretation of 4:20.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: 4:20 - 01/31/06 06:06 PM

"Sounds completely different from the "Californian" interpretation of 4:20."

I thought so, too, except this reference was mentioned on that link.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: 4:20 - 01/31/06 06:17 PM
I highly recommend the movie Shree 420. Great songs, and a good story well told. And that's no con.
Posted By: of troy Re: 4:20 - 01/31/06 07:56 PM
the 4:20 was the early express out of Penn Station for points East (LIRR) (at least on the Port Washington Line)
the next express wasn't till 5:03 or 5:11. (in theory, trains you could catch after working till 5PM.)
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Meanwhile, back at the ranch... - 02/01/06 12:07 AM
..."tocolytics" are medications given when halting premature labor is the desired outcome.

("Tokes" are something else entirely.)
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: tokology - 02/01/06 01:21 PM
I'd never heard of this, even though I was a college student in the 70s. ... but I never inhaled!

The only reference 4:20 stirred up for me was the idea that when you're with a large number of people, and all goes silent, it must be 20 past the hour. Anyone heard of that?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: tokology - 02/01/06 01:49 PM
we always talked about the "20 minute lull", didn't matter what hour, just every 20 minutes, things quieted down...
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: silence at twenty after - 02/02/06 11:11 AM
The only reference 4:20 stirred up for me was the idea that when you're with a large number of people, and all goes silent, it must be 20 past the hour. Anyone heard of that?

Yes. And sometimes it was because the Angel of Death had just passed overhead...

Now that I revisit the thought, I have difficulty figgering why/how these superstitions arise or persist, when they're so specific.
Posted By: themilum Re: silence at twenty after - 02/04/06 01:57 PM
Quote:

Yes. And sometimes it was because the Angel of Death had just passed overhead...
Now that I revisit the thought, I have difficulty figgering why/how these superstitions arise or persist, when they're so specific.

Because, Wofahaulic, as every fiction writer worth his fiction knows,
specificity is the mother of the suspention of disbelief.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: silence at twenty after - 02/05/06 06:54 PM

Wofa, in French Québec, the expression is that an angel has just passed overhead (the type that is thought to be good), not the angel of death. And it is supposed to be a good thing.
© Wordsmith.org