Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Dyscalculia - 02/27/01 11:01 AM
Does anyone else remember a post or two here about this word, a long time ago? In fact, I had been thinking it was a repeat AWAD. But I can't find a mention of it in either forum, excepting AWAD for this very month.

Quite possibly I have lost my mind (again--happens frequently), but I could swear I remember posting here that I suffer from it. Any efforts appreciated.

Posted By: Jackie Never mind... - 02/27/01 12:08 PM
My mind underwent a pandiculation, and I remembered the word I was seeking was acalculia.
Plus, I realized I left the s out of the original title. Should have had some caffeine before posting...

Posted By: des Re: Never mind... - 02/27/01 03:08 PM
How about "Octal" posted July 19th in Wordplay and Fun.

Also used by Tsuwn, Nov. 15, Election Squeakers, under Miscellany.

Posted By: wow Re: Never mind... - 03/10/01 06:13 PM
acalculia - inability to do simple arithmetic tasks.
Oh, Jackie! I have enough to keep budget and checkbook squared away ...if I should lose that ... !!
But would dysacalculia mean you *can do simple arithmetic tasks?
Or that you had acalculia and it went away? And dysacalculia is a healthy mental state? MDs *do love to name everything.
The mind boggles.
It's all that thinking about numbers that does it.
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: Never mind... - 03/10/01 09:02 PM
When asked "How much is two times two" the victim of acalculia says "what's times?"

When asked "How much is two times two?" the victim of dyscalculia says "five"

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Dyscalculia - 03/17/01 08:58 PM
Jackie,

A search for "dyscalculia" at encyclopediabrittanica.com yields a link to an article by Ruth Shalit, "Defining Disability Down." A parenthetical in the abstract suggests that dyscalculia is a kind of learning disorder, presumably some sort of difficulty learning math. I didn't have patience to read the article and it probably contains no information on the word itself, but it's a start.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Pithy definitions - 03/18/01 02:15 PM
When asked "How much is two times two" the victim of acalculia says "what's times?"
When asked "How much is two times two?" the victim of dyscalculia says "five"

Loved that, Dr. Bill

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Dyscalculia - 03/18/01 09:22 PM
A search for "dyscalculia" at encyclopediabrittanica.com

Just to give you a little tip, it's much easier to type just britannica.com, which will result in the same website.

© Wordsmith.org