Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BCwine Colours - 09/27/05 03:23 AM
Excuse the (to some of you, unfamiliar) subject line, please -- I'm Canadian. :-)

Reading the message for "filemot" sparked my interest, since its meaning, the colour of dead leaves, is also the name of a glass colour used for wine bottles. In North America, at least, the typical burgundy-style wine bottle colour is called "dead leaf green," a sexy marketing term if there ever was one, dontcha think? ;-) Most of you will be familiar with the hue -- a green / olive / yellow colour that's unique to the burgundy-style wine bottle.

I'm wondering now whether in sophisticated European wine biz circles, the colour is called filemot.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Colours - 09/27/05 04:00 AM
more likely to be feuillemorte (at least in France and Quebec :)

Posted By: BCwine Re: Colours - 09/29/05 03:35 AM
And with just a little bit of searching, I find a list of bottle colours from a glass bottle company.
From http://www.rexam.com/sectors/index.asp?pageid=83
"Rexam has a wide range of furnace colours, 15 in all: flint, half white, sky, sapphire, royal blue, georgia green, light green, emerald, champagne green, dark green, antique/olive, feuille morte, light amber, amber, red amber."

A few of those would qualify as fall colours, I think.

In my experience with glass companies, I've found that the descriptive words apply pretty flexibly to the actual colours. Or maybe that should be the other way around. I've had one eminent British wine critic look askance at my "dead leaf green" bottles of Pinot Gris. "Why do you use yellow bottles?" he asked pointedly. Fortunately, he was rather more open-minded and appreciative of what was in the bottle. ;-)

Posted By: maverick Re: wan green bottle - 09/29/05 07:41 AM
> fall colours

shardonné I presume?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: wan green bottle - 09/29/05 12:01 PM
Hi BC, welcome aBoard. No need to apologize for spelling "colour" properly . There are a few of us Canadians on Board so our U.S. friends have had to get used to the correct spelling by now.

Interesting post, by the way. I knew there were different colours of wine bottles but didn’t know they were specifically named and sorted for different wines.

Though I'm not a wine expert, I do love a good bottle of wine and really appreciate the different textures and nuances of the different…oh shoot, what’s the word for “cépage” in English…the wine grape varieties.

I admit to ignorance about BC wineries and thought that our wineries were situated mostly in the Niagara area.

Do you make anything that I could find at our alcohol commission? I’d go out and buy some.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: wan green bottle - 09/29/05 12:31 PM
>> No need to apologize for spelling "colour" properly<<

lol!

"Varieties" is good. I think the advertisers like "varietal." Here is what dic.com has to say.

va·ri·e·tal P Pronunciation Key (v-r-tl)
adj.
Of, indicating, or characterizing a variety, especially a biological variety.

n.
A wine made principally from one variety of grape and carrying the name of that grape.

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: cépage - 09/29/05 12:44 PM
Cépage in that sense is "grape varieties", but it also just means 'grapevine', too? From cep 'vine-slip'. From Latin cippus 'picket, pointed stake'.

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: wan green bottle - 09/29/05 12:46 PM
Sorry about the simultaneous (mine was long in the editing phase) posting.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: wan green bottle - 09/29/05 12:52 PM
>>alcohol commission<<

What on Earth . . . ?

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: wan green bottle - 09/29/05 01:05 PM
What on Earth

I assumed this was a reference to those provincial monopolies (Liquor Control Commissions ?) that oversee sales of beer, wine, and spirits north of the States.

Posted By: Jackie Re: wan green bottle - 09/29/05 02:10 PM
north of the States North of the States...is there anything north of the States?? ("correct" spelling: hrmph!)

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: wane bleen grottle - 09/29/05 02:29 PM
North of the States...is there anything north of the States?

Yes, it's a country called Canada. (Although in at least one place it is south of the States (i.e., Detroit).) And, la belMarduk is from there, I do believe. Me, I stopped capitalizing all Nouns after the Close of the 18th Century. [winkola]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: at least one place - 09/29/05 03:01 PM
..not to mention Alaska, of course.

Posted By: vanguard Liquor Commissions - 09/29/05 03:53 PM
In Ohio, we have the State Store, which is the only place one can purchase bottles of "hard" liquor (higher percentage of alcohol than available in "regular" stores, but I don't know what the defining percentages are). You can buy beer, wine and lower-percentage liqueurs or alcoholic beverages in convenience stores, grocery stores or "beer and wine carryouts".

State Stores are not on every street corner, so if you're looking for the hard stuff you have to know where to go. Or else you have to drink it by the serving at a bar.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic more non-word stuff :-) - 09/29/05 04:47 PM
It's so funny how each state -- often, each county -- in the US has its own laws. In NY you can buy beer at the grocery/convenience store but not wine. You can only get wine at liquor stores. And no sales of either before noon on Sunday. And only recently was it permitted to sell wine/liquor on Sunday.

Back to BC, I'm not surprised they have a thriving wine industry. Look at Washington State, a big producer -- pretty much the same climate, no?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: S.A.Q. - 09/29/05 05:23 PM
ZM has it right...the alcohol commission is the governmental organisation that controls the sale of all beverages that have a % of alcohol higher than that of beer. In Québec, it is called la Société des alcools du Québec - S.A.Q. for short.

In Québec, the only alcohol beverages that can be sold outside of an S.A.Q. outlet, are beer, those fruity coolers, and a the lower-end table wines. These can only be sold in grocery stores and dépanneurs (convenience stores).

The sales of the beer and the coolers are not managed by the S.A.Q., but the sales of the wine are. Only table wines are allowed in order to insure that there is not too much competition with the S.A.Q. outlets.

All other wines, liquors and spirits can only be bought in S.A.Q. outlets.

You can buy booze everyday but the stores have to lock up the section at midnight or 1:00 a.m. (not sure exactly which.)

Posted By: inselpeter Re: S.A.Q. - 09/29/05 05:27 PM
In Vermont, they have State Liquor Stores. I just like that "Commission" business.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: over the border - 09/29/05 05:33 PM
> Vermont

'tis true, though lots of folks cross over to New Hampshuh to buy, since there ain't no taxes...

Posted By: inselpeter Re: over the border - 09/29/05 06:50 PM
But if you dont give them you're zip code, they throw you in jail.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: over the border - 09/29/05 06:54 PM
Wine is cheaper when we cross over into Ontario, but the choices are limited when compare to Québec.

Their Liquor Control Board of Ontario, L.C.B.O. for short, tends to carry a greater assorment of imported beers though.

Posted By: Faldage Re: wan green bottle - 10/03/05 10:21 PM
Quote:

Hi BC, welcome aBoard. No need to apologize for spelling "colour" properly

If you think that's spelled properly try using it in UBBcode.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: wan green bottle - 10/03/05 11:33 PM
I would, but I don't know what UBBcode is. Is is somewhat similar to the spell-checker on AWAD
Posted By: Bingley Re: wan green bottle - 10/04/05 05:12 AM
There's a thought. Have we lost Aenigma in the move?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: wan green bottle - 10/04/05 06:18 AM
Quote:

There's a thought. Have we lost Aenigma in the move?

from the FAQ:

Is there a spellchecker?
No. If you want to be sure that you're word perfect, you'll have to spellcheck your post in some text editor and then cut and paste it into the Forums edit box.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Ænigma - 10/04/05 09:36 AM
I mo miss the eccentric old thang, bless her heart.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Ænigma - 10/06/05 08:57 AM
please excuse this post. it is an attempt to stop this thread from continually being unread...
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Ænigma - 10/06/05 02:37 PM
HA! Now that's a new one.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Ænigma - 10/06/05 06:14 PM
>Now that's a new one.

well that's the point, isn't it! this stoopid thread is always "NEW"!! (nice thought though, eta.)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Colours - 10/06/05 11:56 PM
OTOH, anyone who thinks "dead leaf" is a definitive name for a color has never seen the northeast in autumn.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Colours - 10/07/05 12:52 AM
> northeast in autumn

and boy is this a good one, this year! beautiful.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Colours - 10/07/05 01:16 AM
Quote:

OTOH, anyone who thinks "dead leaf" is a definitive name for a color has never seen the northeast in autumn.

Well, the colour name was "dead leaf green" which narrows it down a bit, knowcking out all your amber variants.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Colours - 10/07/05 09:56 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Well, the colour name was "dead leaf green" which narrows it down a bit, knowcking out all your amber variants.

And red, and orange, and yellow, and brown, and, come to that, essentially every dead leaf color.
© Wordsmith.org