Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jheem recalcitrant - 10/14/04 12:23 PM
recalcitrant :- "1. Marked by stubborn resistance to and defiance of authority or guidance." AHD (< L re- 'again' + calcitro 'to kick' < calx 'heel')

"He was huge, deformed and lacking in fiber, moral or otherwise: mute, indocile, mulish, and constipated." Philokopros Skybalarch, Locus ipse stercoratissimus.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: recalcitrant - 10/14/04 12:46 PM
ROTFL! Love the source, all of which I understood except for Skybalarch; can you toss a pearl this way?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: recalcitrant - 10/14/04 12:54 PM
damn. where's that Latin dictionary?...

is Skybalarch related to O'Roseary?

Posted By: jheem Re: recalcitrant - 10/14/04 12:56 PM
Thank you; you are too kind. Greek skubalon 'manure, dung'. The -arch has been debated for years: is it like the -arch in mensarch 'beginning' or the -arch in monarch 'ruler'?

Posted By: jheem Re: recalcitrant - 10/14/04 01:00 PM
I meant menarche, mensarch is a bouy's only boat, I think.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: recalcitrant - 10/15/04 08:23 PM
. Marked by stubborn resistance to and defiance of authority or guidance." AHD (< L re- 'again' + calcitro 'to kick' < calx 'heel')

Not from calculus = little stone, or am I just overworked and therefore too concrete and failing to see whimsy and humor where they are intended?

Posted By: jheem Re: recalcitrant - 10/15/04 09:58 PM
to see whimsy and humor

Calx 'heel' and calculus 'stone' are probably related as things that tread and things trodden upon respectively. Calx is cognate with heel also.

© Wordsmith.org