Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh geusioleptic - 11/29/02 04:23 PM
A spelling bee word for which I have not been qble to find dictionary defintion.
It appears to mean "loss of ability to taste, (perhaps partial). My favorite medical
dictionary http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/omd/ did not give it.
One of my uncles stood in kitchen sink to replace curtain, slipped and bit his tongue
half off. My grandfather sutured it, and it healed. But my uncle was notably geusioleptic
in that he used twice as much pepper and stronger cigars than anybody else.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: geusioleptic - 11/29/02 04:59 PM
ouch!

it reminds me of the time I ripped a nostril on a tie rack in my closet...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: geusioleptic - 11/29/02 10:06 PM
Geusioleptic wasn't listed on OneLook, and the only mentions on Google had to do with the spelling bee. Here's a definition of it one spelling bee report showed:

' "geusioleptic", meaning "delicate peels, characterized by a pleasant flavor.'

Posted By: wwh Re: geusioleptic - 11/29/02 10:32 PM
neuroleptic
adj.
5Fr neuroleptique < Gr neuron, NERVE + lcptos, seizing < lambanein, to seize: see EPILEPSY6 tranquilizing
n.
a tranquilizing drug

Posted By: wwh Re: geusioleptic - 11/29/02 10:35 PM
catalepsy
n.
5LL catalepsis < Gr katalcpsis, a seizing, grasping < katalambanein < kata3, down + lambanein, to take, seize: for IE base see LATCH6 a condition in which consciousness and feeling seem to be temporarily lost, and the muscles become rigid: it may occur in epilepsy, schizophrenia, etc.
cat#a[lep4tic 73tik8
adj., n.

Posted By: wwh Re: geusioleptic - 11/29/02 10:38 PM
analeptic
adj.
5Gr analcptikos, restorative < analambanein, to recover < ana3, up + lambanein, to take: see LEMMA16 Med. restorative; esp., stimulating the nervous system and counteracting drowsiness or the effects of sedatives
n.
an analeptic drug

Posted By: wofahulicodoc disgusting, so to speak - 11/29/02 11:32 PM
A more commonly-used related word is "dysgeusia," for altered sense of taste. Frequently described as "Everything tastes funny." Often the problem turns out to be not really a taste problem but a smell problem, which is another thread entirely. Maybe zinc helps, and maybe it doesn't. Usually getting over the stuffy nose makes a big difference.

Posted By: wwh Re: disgusting, so to speak - 11/30/02 12:34 AM
. Other terms commonly used in
relation with odour and taste are: Ozaena: Unleasant odour from the the nose. Cacogeusia: Bad
taste in the mouth. ...

Posted By: Ata Re: disgusting, so to speak - 11/30/02 12:38 AM
In reply to:

Other terms commonly used in
relation with odour and taste are: Ozaena: Unpleasant odour from the the nose. Cacogeusia: Bad
taste in the mouth. ...

Thank you for that, wwh. I expect I will be able to use cacogeusia more often than ozaena.

© Wordsmith.org