Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh elegiac - 01/02/04 08:11 PM
"Hayward had run to fat during the last two or three years--it was five years since Philip first met him in Heidelberg--and he was prematurely bald. Download the easiest screen capture (print screen) program. Free trial He was very sensitive about it and wore his hair long to conceal the unsightly patch on the crown of his head. His only consolation was that his brow was now very noble. His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. He still talked vaguely of the things he was going to do in the future, but with less conviction; and he was conscious that his friends no longer believed in him: when he had drank two or three glasses of whiskey he was inclined to be elegiac."

ELEGIAC
Pronunciation: `elu'jIuk

Matching Terms: elegiac stanza, Elegiacal, Elegiast

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [adj] expressing sorrow often for something past; "an elegiac lament for youthful ideals"
[adj] resembling or characteristic of or appropriate to an elegy; "an elegiac poem on a friend's death"

Le mot juste!

Posted By: Faldage Re: elegiac - 01/02/04 08:16 PM
I particularly like that bit about screen capture and free trial.

Posted By: wwh Re: elegiac - 01/02/04 08:36 PM
Dear Faldage: I didn't see that. I don't know how it got in.
Can you think of a word that would have been more appropriate than "elegiac"?

Dear Faldage: I went back to that chapter, and I don't see those words anywhere. I can't understand how the got into
the act.

Posted By: Faldage Re: elegiac - 01/02/04 08:52 PM
Sometimes there'll be stuff on the side that gets picked up in a copy and paste. That's probably what happened.

Posted By: wwh Re: elegiac - 01/02/04 09:13 PM
Dear Faldage: but usually when I "select" something I don't want, I can see the reverse video. And I moved the cursor
very carefully. Gremlins, that's what it was.

© Wordsmith.org