Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley environ - 09/15/03 03:08 AM
New to me, from the Dryden translation of Plutarch's Life of Crassus:

But Cassius spoke with him again, and advised him to refresh his army in some of the garrison towns, and remain there till they could get some certain intelligence of the enemy, or at least to make toward Seleucia, and keep by the river, that so they might have the convenience of having provision constantly supplied by the boats, which might always accompany the army, and the river would secure them from being environed, and, if they should fight, it might be upon equal terms.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_text_plutarch_crassus.htm

Bingley
Posted By: wwh Re: environ - 09/15/03 12:02 PM
Dear Bingley: Interesting. Etymology shows "environ" is not from Greek. I wonder what Plutarch's word was.

Posted By: Bingley Re: environ - 09/16/03 04:32 AM
unfortunately there is no Greek text of Plutarch's Life of Crassus online that I can find. A more modern translation has:

But, nevertheless, Cassius once more had a conference with Crassus, and advised him above all things to recuperate his forces in one of the garrisoned cities, until he should get some sure information about the enemy; but if not this, then to advance to Seleucia along the river. For in this way the transports would keep them abundantly supplied with provisions by putting in at their successive encampments, and, by having the river to prevent their being surrounded, they would always fight their enemies on even terms and face to face.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N2FB329E5

Bingley
Posted By: wwh Re: environ - 09/16/03 12:28 PM
Thanks Bingley. Environed = surrounded. As the cliché goes, the Greeks had a word for it. I wonder which one Plutarch used, but since I have little Latin and no Greek, I'm incapable or using the Greek text if I could find it. Bill

Posted By: Zed Re: environ - 10/15/03 10:49 PM
Makes sense. I have heard environ used as the poetic version of environment or surrounding the way you would use ere instead of until. That is if you would use...

© Wordsmith.org