Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh p. 147 - 07/02/03 02:37 PM
rustler, ruthenium (an element), rutherford (unit of radioactivity)

rutidosis = wrinkling

rutted, ryegrass, sabin (phsics unit of acoudtic absorption)

sabretache
n.
5Fr < Ger s9beltasche < s9bel, SABER + tasche, pocket < ML tasca: see TASK6 a square leather case hung from the saber belt of cavalrymen

sabreur - cavalryman armed with a saber.

sabulous
adj.
5L sabulosus < sabulum, SAND6 sandy or gritty

saccharide 8
n.
5SACCHAR3 + 3IDE6
1 a compound of sugar with an organic base
2 any of the carbohydrates; esp., a monosaccharide

saccharin
n.
5so named (1879) by its discoverers, I. Remsen & C. Fahlberg, U.S. chemists < ModL saccharum, sugar < L < Gr sakcharon, ult. < Sans ?arkara, pebble, sugar (> SUGAR) + 3IN16 >a white, crystalline coal-tar compound, C7H5NO3S, about 500 times sweeter than cane sugar, used as a sugar substitute in diabetic diets, as a noncaloric sweetener, etc.

saque aka sack

sacrilege
n.
5ME < MFr < L sacrilegium < sacrilegus, temple robber < sacer, SACRED + legere, to gather up, take away: see LOGIC6
1 the act of appropriating to oneself or to secular use, or of violating, what is consecrated to God or religion
2 the intentional desecration or disrespectful treatment of a person, place, thing, or idea held sacred
SYN.—sacrilege implies a violation of something sacred, as by appropriating to oneself or to a secular use something that has been dedicated to a religious purpose; profanation suggests a lack of reverence or a positive contempt for things regarded as sacred; desecration implies a removal of the sacredness of some object or place, as by defiling or polluting it

sacristy
n.,
pl. 3ties 5Fr sacristie < ML(Ec) sacristia < sacrista, sacristan < L sacer, SACRED6 a room in a church, usually adjoining the sanctuary, where the sacred vessels, vestments, etc. are kept; vestry
sacristan = person in charge of such a room

saddle,saddlebag, saddlebow

sadiron
n.
5SAD (sense 5) + IRON6 a heavy, solid flatiron, pointed at both ends

sadware

safety (!!!)
sagittate = like an arrow
saiga - a sheeplike antelope of Siberia
sailer, sailor, saintly, salable ( Words appearing infrequently!!!!)
salak
salamandroid
sakagane
salaried, salary,
sa[lient 7sal4y!nt, sa4lc !nt8
adj.
5L saliens, prp. of salire, to leap < IE base *sel3, to jump > Gr halma, a leap6
1 a) leaping, jumping, or capering b) gushing or jetting forth
2 pointing outward; jutting or projecting, as an angle
3 standing out from the rest; noticeable; conspicuous; prominent
n.
1 the part of a battle line, trench, fort, etc. which projects farthest toward the enemy
2 a salient angle, part, etc.
sa4lience or sa4lien[cy, pl. 3cies,
n.
sa4lient[ly
adv.
salify = make salty
salinelle
salinity, salutorian (greate word at graduation), salvage, salvageable, samarium (an element) sampans,
samsonite (trade name in luggage) Santimonious (holier than thou) sandals, sander, sandpiper

Posted By: tsuwm Re: p. 147 - 07/02/03 09:43 PM
>Words appearing infrequently!!!

maybe they mean words that are used infrequently in the spell-off.
-r.o.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: p. 147 - 07/02/03 10:21 PM
In reply to:

Santimonious (holier than thou) sandals

Sanctimonious ones would be holier?

Posted By: maverick Re: p. 147 - 07/02/03 10:37 PM
Sanctimonious ones would be holier?

yeah, they thing harmoniouthly in Thongs of Praith

Posted By: wwh Re: p. 147 - 07/03/03 12:06 AM
When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
My typos earn me more replies than my correct efforts.

Posted By: dxb Re: p. 147 - 07/03/03 06:08 AM
My typos earn me more replies than my correct efforts.

Just shows how carefully we read them, Dr Bill!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: on typos - 07/03/03 10:06 AM
Look at it this way, wwh, and pardon a little story here:

When I took piano lessons as a youth, I was extremely self-critical and hated having finger faults. Not many, but the ones I hit incorrectly pained me.

Then one day, much later, I performed for someone's wedding--the entire service. And I missed a note in one of my favorite pieces--and it just made me so very, very sad because I loved the piece and loved the bride and wanted everything perfect. I was about 24 years old, still very young. Anyway, the bride expressed her thanks to me after the service and I said, "Oh, you're welcome, but I am so sorry I missed that note in the Mozart."

She said [and truer words were never spoken], "But think of the hundreds you got right!"

Oh, she was a happy bride. And there was a world of wisdom in her observation--so much that I've passed on her word to countless, self-critical music students I've taught myself.

So, I'll take her wisdom to a different level and say to you, wwh, think of how many letters you get right! And the occasional one you miss sometimes sends us off to fantastic places!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: on typos - 07/03/03 12:04 PM
I often tell my self-critical students(and myself), that on a good day, Michael Jordan only hit 70% from the court, and even a beginning musician usually does much better than that. and he got paid $millions! (that's a one, with six zeros...)

Posted By: wwh Re: on typos - 07/03/03 02:46 PM
Sorry, folks. I wasn't moaning, I was amused. And, WW, I was never good enough to make only one mistake.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: on typos and moans - 07/03/03 03:28 PM
Oh, wwh, you don't strike me at all as one to moan. I was just using you to have an excuse to write--in order to avoid what I should be filing away and organizing upstairs. That's one of the benefits of AWAD--pretend to be doing something constructive at this keyboard in order to avoid doing the more humdrum duties here at hand.

© Wordsmith.org