n.
an act or instance of lazing
laze 2 a back formation = emit coherent light, by operation of a laser

atanier (noun) -

1. fan palms of the southern United States and the Caribbean region
Synonyms: latanier palm

latchet
n.
5ME lachet < OFr, dial. var. of lacet, dim. of laz: see LACE6 [Archaic] a strap or lace for fastening a sandal or shoe to the foo

John 1:26-27) John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; {27} He
it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

lateen
adj.
5Fr latine < (voile) latine, Latin (sail) < fem. of L Latinus, LATIN6 designating or of a triangular, fore-and-aft-rigged sail attached to a long yard suspended obliquely from a short mast: now used chiefly on Mediterranean vessels
n.
a lateen-rigged vessel Also la[teen$er

laticiferous
adj.
5see LATEX & 3FEROUS6producing, containing, or secreting latex

la[tex 7la4teks#8
n.,
pl. lat[i[ces 7lat4i scz#8 or la4tex#es 5L latex (gen. laticis), a fluid, liquid < Gr latax, a drop, wine lees < IE base *lat3, wet > MIr laith, beer6
1 a milky liquid containing resins, proteins, etc., present in certain plants and trees, as the rubber tree, milkweed, and poppy: used esp. as the basis of rubber
2 a suspension in water of particles of natural or synthetic rubber or plastic: used in rubber goods, adhesives, paints, etc.

latitudinari[an
adj.
5< L latitudo (gen. latitudinis): see prec. & 3ARIAN6liberal in one's views; permitting free thought, esp. in religious matters; very tolerant
n.
a person who has very liberal views and, in religion, cares little about particular creeds and forms
lat#i[tu#di[nar$i[an[ism#
n.

latrodectism - the effects of bite of black widow spider

About 40,000 species of spiders have been described throughout the world (1), most of which are
harmless to humans. Of those, only 180 species bite man, and only a few are truly venomous.
However, some spiders are truly venomous, examples of which are the widow spider, Sydney
funnel-web spider, banana spider and recluse spider(2). 1,200 species of spiders have been reported
in Japan, none of which are venomous. However, in the autumn and winter of 1995, some widow
spiders, the red back spider, Latrodectus hasseltii, and the brown widow spider, Latrodectus geometricus, were found in Japan (3,4).
There have been many reviews on venomous spiders and/or their toxins (5-15), especially on the
neurotoxin of black widow spiders, which is a high molecular weight protein named alpha-latroroxin
(16,17). The chemical properties of the toxin of the red back spider which was introduced in Japan
were studied and found to be almost the same as those of the Australian red back spider toxin,
which was alpha-latrotoxin (18). Recently, however, the study of harmless spider toxin has become
active from a neurobiological viewpoint. Spider venoms are a rich source of potential probes for ion
channel and receptor in neurones (11-14,19).

© Wordsmith.org