Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh oxyrhynchus - 02/18/03 06:45 PM
rhynchos is Greek for "snout" = nose, "oxy" means pointed. So I found a site with
a picture of Atlantic sturgeon, with pointed head .
Atlantic sturgeon Acipenser oxyrhynchus

Posted By: wwh Re: palaka - 02/18/03 06:51 PM
a Hawaiian word:
palaka
[pah lah' kah]

A checkered shirt,
usually blue and
white, of block-print
cloth
Reminiscent of the
"plantation days" work
shirts; from the English
"frock". Palaka is also
a general term for a
regular shirt with a
collar and buttons, as
in palaka aloha for
aloha shirt.

Posted By: wwh Re:paletot - 02/18/03 06:55 PM
paletot since it is a French word, I suppose final "t" would not be pronounced.
n.
5Fr < OFr palletoc < ME paltok < ?6 [Historical]
1 a man‘s overcoat
2 a loose jacket worn by women and children

Posted By: wwh Re: palfrey - 02/18/03 06:58 PM
palfrey
n.,
pl. 3freys 5ME < OFr palefrei < ML palafredus, for LL paraveredus, extra post horse < Gr para, beside + L veredus, post horse < Gaul *voredos (akin to Welsh gorwydd, horse) < *vo3, down, away (< IE *wo3 < base *au3, *awc) + *3redos < IE base *reidh3 > RIDE6 [Archaic] a saddle horse, esp. a gentle one for a woman

Posted By: wwh Re: palouser - 02/18/03 07:01 PM
Palouser. United States, Washington State. A strong and dangerous
katabatic wind descending into the Palouse River valley

Posted By: wwh Re: paloverde - 02/18/03 07:03 PM
paloverde
n.
5MexSp, lit., green tree < Sp palo, a stick, log (< L palus, a stake, PALE2) + verde, green < L viridis: see VERDURE6 any of several leguminous trees or shrubs (genera Parkinsonia and Cercidium) with spiny branches, green bark, and bright-yellow flowers, found in the SW U.S. and Mexico

Posted By: wwh Re: paloverde - 02/18/03 07:06 PM
paloverde
n.
5MexSp, lit., green tree < Sp palo, a stick, log (< L palus, a stake, PALE2) + verde, green < L viridis: see VERDURE6 any of several leguminous trees or shrubs (genera Parkinsonia and Cercidium) with spiny branches, green bark, and bright-yellow flowers, found in the SW U.S. and Mexico

Posted By: wwh Re: palpus - 02/18/03 07:08 PM
palpus
n.,
pl. pal$pi# 73pj#8 5ModL < L palpus, the soft palm of the hand, akin to palpare: see PALPABLE6
1 a jointed organ or feeler for touching or tasting, attached to one of the head appendages of insects, lobsters, etc.
2 a fleshy, sensory structure in the oral region of some polychaete worms

Posted By: wwh Re: paludicolous - 02/18/03 07:10 PM
Living in a swampy environment.

Posted By: wwh Re:panache - 02/18/03 07:14 PM
panache pronunced like mustache, which can be worn with panache (not by me)
5Fr < OFr pannache < OIt pennacchio < LL(Ec) pinnaculum, tuft, plume: see PINNACLE6
1 a plume of feathers, esp. on a helmet
2 dashing elegance of manner; carefree, spirited self-confidence or style; flamboyance

Posted By: wwh Re: panchax - 02/18/03 07:18 PM
panchax
n.
5ModL6 any of various brilliantly colored killifishes (genus Aplocheilus) often kept in tropical fish aquariums

Posted By: wwh Re: pandect - 02/18/03 07:20 PM
pandect
n.
5Fr pandecte < LL Pandectae, the Pandects < L, pl. of pandectes, an all-inclusive book < Gr pandektcs, lit., all-receiving < pan, all (see PAN3) + dechesthai, to contain, receive < IE *dea3: see DECENT6
1 [often pl.] a complete body of laws; legal code
2 [Now Rare] a complete or comprehensive digest

Posted By: wwh Re: paneity - 02/18/03 07:28 PM
paneity
n. - Theology, state of being merely bread.

the state of the bread wafers prior to their being blessed for the Eucharist
Eucharist
n.
5ME eukarist < OFr eucariste < LL(Ec) eucharistia < Gr, gratitude (in N.T., the Eucharist) < eucharistos, grateful < eu3, well (see EU3) + charizesthai, to show favor to6
1 HOLY COMMUNION
2 the consecrated bread and wine used in Holy Communion, or either of these
Eu#cha[ris4tic
adj.

Posted By: Bingley Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/19/03 05:05 AM
Oxyrhynchus was the name of a place in Egypt where a collection of papyrus gnostic texts was found towards the end of the 19th century.

It was also the name of the fish that ate the God Osiris's penis after Osiris's body was dismembered and thrown into the Nile by his brother Set. When Isis collected the pieces and resurrected Osiris, this part was missing.

Bingley
Posted By: Wordwind Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/19/03 10:19 AM
Interesting word, wwh. I guess as the 'nose' part, but couldn't guess at the 'oxy' part.

Now I wonder how pointed does a nose or snout have to be to be classified as 'oxyrhynchus'? I've been reading about the meerkats, and they have somewhat pointed noses--and I wonder whether theirs would qualify as being 'oxyrhynchate'--if that might be the adjective form? Certainly an anteater would possess an oxyrhynchus.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: paludicolous - 02/19/03 10:22 AM
Paludicolous? Ridiculous! Use this word and you'll bog your audience down in confusion.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/19/03 10:25 AM
In reply to:

Oxyrhynchus was the name of a place in Egypt where a collection of papyrus gnostic texts was found towards the end of the 19th century.

Oh, Bingley, I just read your post after posting my own on the word.

Now where is the connection between what you wrote and "pointed nose"?

Posted By: wwh Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/19/03 02:13 PM
Dear Bingley: Thanks for explaining a lot of hits that puzzled me.

Posted By: Bingley Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/20/03 01:48 AM
Oxyrynchus was the Greek/Latin name for a Nile fish with a pointed nose, a kind of pike I believe. It was one of the many Egyptian animal gods (there are advantages to eating a god's penis), and its main temple was in the town of Oxyrynchus (a loan translation from the Egyptian perhaps). It would seem the papyri found there were much more than just a collection of gnostic texts. Apparently BBC Radio did a series of programmes on the city and the archaeological discoveries there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/oxyrhynchos.shtml

Bingley
Posted By: wwh Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/20/03 01:58 AM
Dear Bingley: you have a sharp nose for interesting sites.

Posted By: Bingley Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/20/03 02:14 AM
I just googled: oxyrynchus fish temple

Bingley
Posted By: Bingley Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/20/03 02:17 AM
or even oxyrhynchus

Bingley
Posted By: Wordwind Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/20/03 09:09 AM
or even oxyrhynchos...

Just read your site, Bingley. Many thanks for broadening the understanding here of long noses.

That site would be of keen interest to anyone who reads here since it's all about putting together 950 years of culture from studying these ancient writings, papyrology.

Anyway, it was a great read--and, yes, Bingley, the fish was a pike according to the site. Thanks, again.

WW

Posted By: sjm Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/20/03 06:24 PM
> yes, Bingley, the fish was a pike

For some reason, as soon as I read this, I thought of that great last line:

For the snark was a Boojum, you see.

Posted By: Bingley Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/21/03 03:54 AM
Where else could you find people even remotely interested in the connection between a long-nosed fish and the birth of papyrology? We are so lucky.

Bingley
Posted By: Wordwind Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/21/03 04:35 AM
In reply to:

We are so lucky.

My sentiments exactly, Bingley.

Posted By: sjm Re: oxyrhynchus - 02/21/03 04:45 AM
Curiously enough, while I had never heard of oxyrhynchus - fish or place, I was very familiar with oncorhynchus, even though I'm no particular fan of Schubert.

© Wordsmith.org