Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh henrician - 02/13/03 08:18 PM
An adjective coined by some historians, referring to the period of Henry VIII.

Posted By: wwh Re: herdic - 02/13/03 08:20 PM
herdic
n.
5after P. Herdic (1824-88), U.S. inventor6 a low-hung public carriage of the late 19th-cent., with a back entrance and seats along the sides

Posted By: wwh Re: heresiarch - 02/13/03 08:23 PM
heresiarch
n.
5LL(Ec) haeresiarcha < Gr hairesiarchcs, leader of a school < hairesis (see HERESY) + 3archcs, leader < archein, to begin, lead6 the founder or head of a heresy or heretical sect

Posted By: wwh Re:herrenvolk - 02/13/03 08:26 PM
Herrenvolk - Hitler's Master Race

Posted By: wwh Re: heterodyne - 02/13/03 08:28 PM
heterodyne
adj.
5HETERO3 + DYNE6 designating or of the combination of two different radio frequencies to produce beats whose frequencies are equal to the sum or difference of the original frequencies
vi.
3dyned#, 3dyn#ing to combine two different frequencies so as to produce beats

Posted By: wwh Re:heterodont - 02/13/03 08:30 PM
Heterodont - having different types of teeth.
Homodont - having all teeth of the same type.

Posted By: wwh Re: hiatal - 02/13/03 08:37 PM
iatal (or hiatus) hernia
a hernia of part of the stomach into the opening in the diaphragm through which the esophagus passes

One of the most famous medical cases of the twenties was that of Alice Jane McHenry - "the girl
with the uspide down stomach " who made the Truesdale Clinic in Fall River, MA, famous for a
short time. A large defect in the diaphragm allowed her stomach to be up between her l;ungs.

Posted By: wwh Re: hiddenite - 02/13/03 08:39 PM
hiddenite
n.
5after W. E. Hidden, U.S. mineralogist who discovered it (1879)6 a rare, yellowish to emerald-green variety of spodumene, a semiprecious stone

Posted By: wwh Re: hieroglyphic - 02/13/03 08:42 PM
hieroglyphic
adj.
5Fr hi=roglyphique < LL hieroglyphicus < Gr hieroglyphikos < hieros, sacred (see HIERO3) + glyphein, to carve, hollow out: see GLYPH6
1 of, or having the nature of, hieroglyphics
2 written in hieroglyphics
3 hard to read or understand Also hi#er[o#glyph$i[cal
n.
1 a picture or symbol representing a word, syllable, or sound, used by the ancient Egyptians and others, instead of alphabetical letters
2 [usually pl.] a method of writing using hieroglyphics; picture writing
3 a symbol, sign, etc. hard to understand
4 [pl.] writing hard to decipher
hi#er[o#glyph$i[cal[ly
adv.

Posted By: dxb Re: henrician - 02/14/03 08:11 AM

Henrician! Ugh! They should have been shot to put us out of their misery.

Posted By: sjm Re: henrician - 02/14/03 08:59 AM

Henrician! Ugh! They should have been shot to put us out of their misery.

Damn straight! After all, there's already an adjective to describe the period of Henry - Halcyon.

Posted By: dxb Re: henrician - 02/14/03 11:18 AM
Halcyon? Were they that good? Well, I s'pose this *is the 'Beheading Words' forum.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: hieroglyphic - 02/14/03 12:25 PM
Wouldn't hieroglyph be a more precise term to refer to an individual character?

Posted By: wwh Re: hieroglyphic - 02/14/03 02:29 PM
Hal's only scion worth mentioning was the Virgin queen.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: hieroglyphic - 02/14/03 03:03 PM
Virgin queen who grew up without her mother because Hal had beheaded her. Imagine that kind of thing happening nowadays regularly. Poor little Elizabeth. No wonder she never married. {yeah, I know that ain't the primary reason she never married, but still.}

Posted By: sjm Re: henrician - 02/14/03 06:06 PM
dxb - wwh got my feeble pun.

Posted By: Faldage Re: henrician - 02/14/03 06:18 PM
my feeble pun

fwiw, so did I, but I didn't want to ruin my reputation by admitting it.

Posted By: wwh Re: henrician - 02/14/03 08:00 PM
Dear Faldage: Again I say, you need something for your dyspepsia.

Posted By: Faldage Re: henrician - 02/14/03 08:23 PM
I tole you an I tole you. I'm married to a good 'Lanta girl. Be givin me no dyspepsia.

Posted By: dxb Re: henrician - 02/18/03 02:10 PM
dxb - wwh got my feeble pun.

Well, there were two or three threads of humour in there actually.

Posted By: wwh Re: henrician - 02/18/03 02:57 PM
My favorite henrician recollection is that of Charles Laughton, in the role of Henry VIII,
stuffing himself with chicken, and throwing the bones backwards over his shoulder.

Posted By: dxb Re: henrician - 02/18/03 03:49 PM
Laughton, a skilled actor, was required to present Henry as something approaching a buffoon and he made a memorable job of it. In fact Henry VIII was a true renaissance prince. He was educated in the classics, and spoke and wrote several languages fluently, including the prerequisite Latin. He studied philosophy and religion and often had heated debates with the learned thinkers of the age. He was an athlete and was skilled in the arts of war.

Henry wrote prose and poetry, but his real passion was always music. He composed masses (which are now lost) and ballads. He played several musical instruments and amassed a considerable collection of them over his lifetime.

Henry was obsessed with getting a male heir and, as all know, to this end he had six wives (linear, not parallel). There is a popular belief that they were mostly beheaded. In fact two were beheaded for adultery, a capital crime in a monarch's spouse at that time (the monarch could not afford to look foolish). Of the others, one died in childbirth, two were divorced and one survived him.

© Wordsmith.org