Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh p. 19 - 11/22/02 04:42 PM
beloid = arrow shaped. O spent a lot of time on this without finding much. I suspected it was a
Greek word, possibly "belos". I found that his father was Poseidon and his mother Libya, one of
the Naiads.The same name is used in Phoenician and even Irish mythology. No clue as how his
name came to be a Greek word meaning missile, dart, havelin, or arrow.

Posted By: wwh Re: p. 19 - 11/22/02 05:48 PM
Another obscure word
>Benday process
5after Benjamin Day (1838-1916), N.Y. printer6 [often b3 p3] Photoengraving a process for adding tone or shading, as in reproducing drawings, by the overlay on the plate of patterns, as of dots Also Ben Day process

Posted By: wwh Re: p. 19 - 11/22/02 05:56 PM
Another word I can live without, but was on spelling bee list:
bergylt

Rosefish \Rose"fish`\, n. (Zo["o]l.) A large marine scorp[ae]noid food fish (Sebastes marinus) found on the
northern coasts of Europe and America. called also red perch, hemdurgan, Norway haddok, and also,
erroneously, snapper, bream, and bergylt.

Posted By: wwh Re: p. 19 - 11/22/02 06:00 PM
Yet another medical word:
Berloque Dermatitis is a skin condition in which patients develop a brownish to reddish discoloration of
the neck and sometimes the arms due to applying perfume or cologne to the skin. Sometimes the skin first
turns red before changing to a brownish color. This condition can persist for years or even be permanent.

Posted By: wwh Re: p. 19 - 11/22/02 06:05 PM
Two words for milum, if he ever looks at this:
A speleothem is a secondary mineral deposit in a cave, derived by a
chemical reaction from berock or other materials (Aspelaion@ = cave, Athema@ = deposit in ...

© Wordsmith.org