Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh kielbasa - 11/03/02 08:47 PM
From the spelling bee words. A Polish sausage. I used to see Linguica, the Portuguese
version in the stores more ofte. Chourico is another Portuguese sausage, more highly spiced.
I was surprised a bit to see on Internet so many Hawaian ads for Portuguese sausage.
There were a lot of Portuguese sailors on whaling ships, so it figures some of them
swallowed the anchor there.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: kielbasa - 11/03/02 10:57 PM
Swallowed the anchor?

Keielbasa is great with onions, green peppers and cabbage.

Posted By: wwh Re: kielbasa - 11/03/02 11:06 PM
Caught a big fish with my anchor. In many sea stories I have seen that phrase used to
mean sailors had gone ashore for good. Another story was that they would go ashore
with an oar over their shoulder and walk inland until somebody asked what it was.
Only then were far enough from the ocean to suit them.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: kielbasa - 11/03/02 11:52 PM
Swallowed the anchor means to stop the nautical life. What a great phrase. Thanks, wwh. I'll drop it a lot now. It sure is a bit more esoteric than belMarduk's slovenly unless it's just another instance of having missed something everybody else already knew.

I s'pose when I stop teaching I can say I'm swallowing the white board. And a cook could swallow the pot. And a doctor could swallow the stethoscope. And a farmer could swallow the plow--or the John Deere. And so on.

Terrific concept!

Posted By: of troy Re: kielbasa - 11/04/02 01:18 PM
RE:Another story was that they would go ashore
with an oar over their shoulder and walk inland until somebody asked what it was.

i heard (Read) that phrase earlier this year, in a book called "the Songcatcher" --(Jackie, who is the author?)

sailing and seamen bring to mind how tough life was on a farm in 18th and 19 centuries. Going to sea was thought to be a better life!

i suppose if you didn't own your own farm, going to see was better than going to work in a mine, or any of the other unskilled work that was available.

© Wordsmith.org