Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh massiere - 12/31/03 01:40 AM
Philip's friend has sent him an address for a rooming house
in Paris, but he is writing from Italy, and it looks as though he uses an Italian word, perhaps meaning "landlady".
I could not find it in an online Italian-English dictionary.
"But Philip ceased to think of her a moment after he had settled down in his carriage. He thought only of the future. He had written to Mrs. Otter, the massiere to whom Hayward had given him an introduction, and had in his pocket an invitation to tea on the following day.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: massiere - 01/01/04 02:47 PM
Over 30,000 hits for this, wwh, and the dozens I looked at were all German. Can't help you out at all.

Posted By: donbinincom Re: massiere - 04/08/05 02:08 AM
Philip was studying in Paris. Massiere is the feminine form of massier. In olden times, a massier was a knight who carried a mace (masse in French). In an artist's studio, a massier (or massiere) is generally a senior student who takes care of finances or other administrative matters.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: massiere - 04/10/05 04:11 PM
Hi Don, welcome aBoard.

Don't worry if you don't get responses to your post. You've posted in the lower part of the Board (for old weekly themes) and most people don't pop in here at all.

Take a peep in the forums at the top. There's a lot of interesting threads to participate in, and everybody will be happy to hear a new voice in the discussions.

Posted By: Zed Re: massiere - 05/02/05 10:46 PM
I should think the guy with the mace would be very good at taking care of the money - or at least at taking the money.
Hi Don (late greeting I know but I've been away)

© Wordsmith.org