Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh obmutescence - 12/22/03 04:30 PM
"On the third day of my compulsory idleness I crawled out near the grub wagon, and reclined helpless under the conversational fire of Judson Odom, the camp cook. Jud was a monologist by nature, whom Destiny, with customary blundering, had set in a profession wherein he was bereaved, for the greater portion of his time, of an audience."

Therefore, I was manna in the desert of Jud's obmutescence.

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Ob`mu*tes"cence\ ([o^]b`m[-u]*t[e^]s"sens), n. [L.
obmutescens, p. pr of obmutescere to become dumb; ob (see
{Ob-}) + mutescere to grow dumb, fr. mutus dumb.]
1. A becoming dumb; loss of speech. --Sir T. Browne.

2. A keeping silent or mute. --Paley.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 03:37 PM
Most excellent passage, wwh!! And what true psychological understanding is manifest there. Who wrote this passage? Very talented, whoever it was.

In another way, it's easy for a writer to create an obmutescent character because there's that much less dialogue to worry about.

Posted By: wwh Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 04:08 PM
Dear WW: many of these words were from O.Henry. He enjoys
challenging his readers with recondite references.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 04:11 PM
Well, it's a splendid passage and a splendid word, wwh! I'm off to Christmas dinner at my Aunt Jewel's (who is a jewel and everybody agrees here), but shall return later today to unearth a few more of your zero hits that are great fun to read through today in this time of jollity and relaxation.

Posted By: maahey Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 04:50 PM
Didn't everyone of you conjure up intumescence after reading obtumescence?

Posted By: wwh Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 05:47 PM
I will not comment about phenomenon immediately preceding detumescence. Oh, to be seventy five again!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 08:04 PM
And then there's triboluminescence of which we once discussed at length...but I suppose that's too much of a tangent, please forgive...

Posted By: wwh Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 08:46 PM
It would be hyperbole to write of triboluminesce preceding
detumescence. You can stretch a good thing too far, as the cowboy said when he saw his girlfriend riding astride.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 08:49 PM
You do notice, wwh, that the gutter police are off today for the holidays! And we are at least writing a lot of horses and cowboys and spurs and such at least...

What's a good Christmas Western?

Posted By: wwh Re: obmutescence - 12/25/03 10:02 PM
Dear WW: Christmas Western reminds me of a very ribald story about in incident that happened to me long ago.
I might be able to tell it subtly enough in a PM to avoid
being too vulgar or self-aggrandizing.Maybe. All the guys downstairs thought it was very funny.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: obmutescence - 12/26/03 03:22 PM
I'm just back on today, wwh, so do please tell your ribald story via PM. ...However, I don't think that it would do much harm to tell it here since there are only about a dozen or so of us who post here.

© Wordsmith.org