Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh trustfulness vs trustworthiness - 10/22/03 12:39 PM
"I say, though there is not that tie between us, do not, I entreat, assail me with unnecessary taunts, or misinterpret what I say, or would say. I was only going to suggest to you that it would be a mistake to suppose that it is only you, who have been selected here, above all others, for advancement, confidence and distinction (selected, in the beginning, I know, for your great ability and trustfulness), and who communicate more freely with Mr. Dombey than any one, and stand, it may be said, on equal terms with him, and have been favoured and enriched by him--that it would be a mistake to suppose that it is only you who are tender of his welfare and reputation. There is no one in the House, from yourself down to the lowest, I sincerely believe, who does not participate in that feeling."

The speaker is an employee with history of having been guilty of a theft. He is talking to his brother, who hates him. The brother is the Manager of the firm's office. The Manager is devoid of "trustfulness"; he is very vigilant, and earned his high position by his "trustworthiness".

I think Dickens made a poor word choice.If I am trustful, I trust you. If I am trustworthy, you trust me.

Posted By: Zed Re: trustfulness vs trustworthiness - 10/22/03 10:41 PM
That would be my reading in todays English too but meanings can flip flop. Could that be the case? I'm trying to remember another case of similar words I read in a piece written in the 1700s or 1800s. I'll let you know if it comes to me in the wee hours.

Posted By: Zed Re: trustfulness vs trustworthiness - 10/24/03 04:57 PM
Ha, I remembered.
It is sensible/sensitive I was thinking of. I don't know if sensitive has changed but sensible used to mean highly emotional and (by current definition) sensitive. The novel in question was, of course "Sense and Sensibility". It has completely reversed it's meaning to rational and not emotionally motivated. I wonder if there was a time when it was halfway inbetween and two people conversing would use the same word with opposite intent.

Posted By: wwh Re: trustfulness vs trustworthiness - 10/24/03 05:16 PM
Dear zed: You remind me of a contretemps in a hospital staff meeting. The Chief of Psychiatry, who was a refugee from Hitler, in making an announcement, said:" The Hospital Director is sensible.." (meaning aware that). Before he could say another word a staff psychiatrist who hated the Hospital Director bellowed: " Since when?"

Posted By: Faldage Not quite the same thing, but - 10/24/03 06:31 PM
I remember listening to a conversation two friends were having about a mutual friend who had been skiing. The conversation just got farther and farther off track until they discovered one of them was talking about snow skiing and the other about water skiing.

Posted By: Zed Re: Not quite the same thing, but - 10/24/03 11:29 PM
LOL to both

© Wordsmith.org