Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh paviour - 10/12/03 03:59 PM
"This tends to the discomfiture of Mr Smallweed, who finds it so difficult to resume his object, whatever it may be, that he becomes exasperated, and secretly claws the air with an impotent vindictiveness expressive of an intense desire to tear and rend the visage of Mr George. As the excellent old gentleman’s nails are long and leaden, and his hands lean and veinous, and his eyes green and watery; and, over and above this, as he continues, while he claws, to slide down in his chair and to collapse into a shapeless bundle; he becomes such a ghastly spectacle, even in the accustomed eyes of Judy, that that young virgin pounces at him with something more than the ardour of affection, and so shakes him up, and pats and pokes him in divers parts of his body, but particularly in that part which the science of self-defence would call his wind, that in his grievous distress he utters enforced sounds like a paviour’s rammer."

paviour, U.S. pavior ['peývjə]
noun
1 a person who lays paving

2 a machine for ramming down paving

3 material used for paving
[ETYMOLOGY: 15th Century: from paver, from pave]

A pretensious word for an unprententious occupation.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: paviour - 12/26/03 07:43 PM
I'd like to hear a paviour ramming down the paving! This is a terrific mechanical word, wwh. Does it rhyme with saviour? I can't quite make out the pronunciation key.

Posted By: wwh Re: paviour - 12/26/03 07:58 PM
It's a pity that there are so many different pronunciation symbols. I think rhyme with "saviour" quite likely.

© Wordsmith.org