Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh another site to mine - 08/26/03 09:14 PM
Not mine alone of course. I just plan to pick a few of the words that i hope may interest you.
Hope others will do likewise.
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/unuwords.htm

Posted By: Faldage Re: another site to mine - 08/26/03 09:27 PM
xenobombulate....................................To malinger

!!!

Posted By: wwh Re: another site to mine - 08/26/03 10:35 PM
Dear Faldage: you picked one of the lousy ones. Some of them seem worth selecting. I'm having so much trouble sleeping I'm too punchy to do it today.

Posted By: Faldage Re: another site to mine - 08/26/03 11:41 PM
I was thinking of the similarity to discombobulate.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: another site to mine - 08/27/03 01:32 AM
knismesis ................................... Light tickling

make sure they cool down first... and do flourescents enjoy it more?

Posted By: wwh Re: another site to mine - 08/27/03 12:36 PM
Dear etaoin: There are a few unfortunate people for whom tickling lights cause epileptic seizures. A friend of mine was giving a flying lesson, and the student pilot attempting a landing just before sundown, from east end of the runway. suddenly froze on the controls, and it took application of fireextiguisher as Bulgarian anaesthesia by my friend to enable him to resume control and land the plane safely. The flickering of the setting sun passing through idling prop had triggered an epileptic seizure.
I don't remember the neurologists' name for this.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: another site to mine - 08/27/03 09:11 PM
Bulgarian anaesthesia

is that a slap upside the head?

Posted By: wwh Re: another site to mine - 08/27/03 11:40 PM
Cheap, non-polluting,very effective. Some patients escape fracture of skull. Allegedly commonly used in flying lessons sixty years ago.
Apropos of nothing at all. Reminds me time State Labs flunked safety inspection. All the CO2 fire extinguishers were empty. Turned out nightwatchman, having been instructed to destroy any white mice that had escaped their cages had done so by CO2 suffocation.

Posted By: wwh agraffe - 08/28/03 06:45 PM
New to me. I can remember seeing champagne bottles using such a closure a long time ago, but doubt they are still used.
agraffe or agrafe
n.
5Fr agrafe < agrafer, to hook < OFr agraper, to fasten < grapon, hook < Frank *krappo (see GRAPE); form infl. by OFr grafe, pointed tool < L graphium, stylus < Gr grapheion, a chisel6
1 a hook and loop, used to fasten armor or clothing
2 a metal bracket used in building to hold stones together

Posted By: Bingley Re: agraffe - 08/29/03 05:06 AM
I've seen no.2 but never knew that's what it was called.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org