Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu botanicals - 06/29/03 06:01 PM
http://www.geefarms.com/terms.htm

thought that the gardeners amongst us might find something worthwhile in this list. and Dr. Bill can have a field day!

Posted By: wwh Re: botanicals - 06/29/03 07:32 PM
Dear etaoin: I remember being told in biochemistry that "belladonna" the plant, was so named because Italian ladies thought that the atropine effect of dilating pupils made them more attractive. I am sceptical that this could ever have been popular, because those who took it would also have their vision blurred disagreeably. I once almost cut off a finger using a circular saw before the effects of
atropine given me for a refraction had worne off, and my depth perception was badly impaired. I went to pick up a cut piece, and put my hand right into the saw.

Posted By: habrotrocha Re: botanicals - 06/29/03 11:28 PM
Belladonna ladies operating circular saws? Try to get your teeth, if you can, into that scene. Belladonna ladies had to operate (at most) the draping of an arm across a dancing partner's shoulders or the lifting of that last glass of wine to their pouty, expectant lips.

J. Potter
Posted By: of troy Re: botanicals - 06/29/03 11:56 PM
it is normal for human pupils to dilate when they are sexually excited..

so i suspect the belladonna was used to make it seem like the ladies were enjoying themselves.. and looking excited, i suspect, also made them look more attactive.. (and by looking at them through bleary eyes, perhaps their companions, as well!)

Posted By: wwh Re: botanicals - 06/30/03 12:12 AM
Dear habrotrocha: Glad to see you post. I have sent you
a PM. Bill

Posted By: dxb Re: botanicals - 06/30/03 11:47 AM
it is normal for human pupils to dilate when they are sexually excited..

You are speaking from experience as a teacher?

Posted By: Faldage Re: botanicals - 06/30/03 12:11 PM
it is normal for human pupils to dilate when they are sexually excited

This was confirmed in a study that was mentioned in Scientific American many years ago. I would also imagine that the helplessness engendered by the fuzziness of vision resulting from the use of belladonna was also a turn on for the gentlemen of the time.

Posted By: wwh Re: botanicals - 06/30/03 12:30 PM
I searched for "belladonna aphrodisiac" and got a bunch of hits. Here's one:
http://www.alchemy-works.com/scopolia.html
You wouldn'catch me trying it. Anyway, I never needed any.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: botanicals - 06/30/03 02:20 PM
Anyway, I never needed any.

ah, you old rapscallion!

Posted By: wwh Re: botanicals - 06/30/03 06:49 PM
Mentioned in Plutarch's Live of Lysander"
"the Cretan storax"

storax
n.
5ME < L storax, styrax < Gr styrax, of Sem orig., as in Heb tsori, terebinth resin6
1 the aromatic balsam exuded by liquidambar trees, used in medicine and perfumery
2 a fragrant, solid resin obtained from a small, E Mediterranean tree (Styrax officinalis) of the storax family, formerly used as incense
3 any of a genus (Styrax) of chiefly tropical trees and shrubs of the storax family, with drooping clusters of showy white flowers
adj.
designating a family (Styracaceae, order Ebenales) of widely distributed dicotyledonous trees or shrubs, as the snowbell

Posted By: Faldage Re: Storax - 06/30/03 07:07 PM
Wasn't the storax one of the members of Dr. Seuss's bestiary?

Posted By: wwh Re: Storax - 06/30/03 07:34 PM
Buy "the Lorax" by Dr. Seuss at Barnes & Noble.com

© Wordsmith.org