Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Junto - 03/30/03 03:08 AM
Franklin describes a club interested in literary and philosophical matters. One of them was:
Thomas Godfrey, a self-taught mathematician, great in his way, and afterward inventor of what is now called Hadley’s Quadrant.
" The Hadley's quadrant was a double-mirrored navigational instrument which could measure angles up to ninety degrees."

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Junto - 03/30/03 06:53 AM
Why was it called 'Hadley's Quadrant' if Godfrey invented it?

Posted By: wwh Re: Junto - 03/30/03 12:46 PM
My guess is Godgrey described the principle that gave the high
precision, and Hadlley manufactured them.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc by way of an FYI - 03/30/03 06:14 PM
from http://www.mbay.net/~jubois/id23.htm

The Junto

Over the last couple of years, several persons have suggested Ben Franklin's Junto as a model of a group that evolved from a supper club into a very effective idea factory that benefited both its members and the rest of society...

The link is short, but worth a glance.

Posted By: wwh Re: by way of an FYI - 03/30/03 08:05 PM
The first fifty or so paragraphs of the Autobiography ought be required reading for all achool kids. He credits the greater part of his success to avoiding dogmatic statements, avoiding
hurting other people's feelings, using Socratic questioning,
not seeking praise, attributing his ideas to someone else, and many other little things that avoided negative reaction to him.

Posted By: dxb Junto/Junta - 03/31/03 02:53 PM
Wofa - I notice that both you and Dr Bill have used ‘Junto’ here. Please, can either of you explain when you would use 'Junto' and when ‘Junta’? I tried dictionaries, but wasn’t able to reach a conclusion.

Thanks.

Posted By: wwh Re: Junto/Junta - 03/31/03 04:46 PM
Dear dxb: "Junto" was Franklin'g usage for one particular club. Nobody else seems to have used it.

© Wordsmith.org