antipudic: concealing private parts of the body
antonomasia: use of descriptive phrase or epithet instead of proper name
anzactile: army biscuit
apatetic: of an animal's coloration or markings
apheresis: taking away a syllable at the beginning of a word
aphrasia: inability to speak

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: more - 02/12/03 01:51 AM
anzactile: army biscuit

Is this for real, or just the sardonic comment of disgruntled GI in the Pacific theater regarding the inedible nature of his rations? (ANZAC tile?) Is there a derivation for "anzactile"?

Posted By: sjm Re: more - 02/12/03 01:56 AM
Anzac is the name of a yummy oatmeal biscuit, cherished on both sides of the Tasman, but I've never heard anzactile before.

Posted By: wwh Re: more - 02/12/03 02:38 AM
Army rations seldom get praised. I remember a couple lines from WWII song"
....The biscuits they serve us they say are mghty fine,
One fell of the table, and killed a pal of mine.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: more on army rations - 02/12/03 01:09 PM
I was born in 1949; my brother, in 1953. When we were about five and nine years old, we went up into the attic and rifled through my dad's WWII army stuff. We found some army rations and took bites from some of what we found! A decade after the war had ended, the rations still tasted as horrible as my dad had reported, so aging did them no good. But we didn't die.

Posted By: wwh Re: more on army rations - 02/12/03 02:12 PM
Dear WW: I don't know if I posted this before, but not all the rations were bad.
One night when I was on duty in what had been the pistol range at the University
of Santo Tomas, and had been converted into the Pathology morgue. A body was
brought in to be autopsied. On the stretcher was the remai;ns of a Major, with
about eight bullet holes in his back. I could tell that they had been made by US .45 cal.
bullets. Out of the corner of my mouth, so officer in charge of the ambulance could
not hear me, I asked one of the stretcher bearers "What did he do wrong?"
"Took all of the canadian Bacon out of the "C" rations for himself."

Posted By: Wordwind Re: more on army rations - 02/12/03 02:27 PM
Are you pulling my leg, wwh? You know I'm gullible.

Posted By: wwh Re: more on army rations - 02/12/03 02:35 PM
Dear WW: my faults are many, my virtues few. I would however scorn to tell such a tale
if it were untrue. Imagine those guys for weeks on end having nothing better than the
"C" rations to eat, and then having that bastard take the only really enjoyable part all
for himself. I would have probably been glad to be one of the executioners he so richly
deserved.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: more on army rations - 02/15/03 02:07 AM
...not all the rations were bad...

As I recall the LRRP rations (short for Long Range Reconniassance and Patrol, and pronounced "lurp rations") weren't bad at all. They were dehydrated entreés in a sealed heavy plastic bag, just boil up some water and mix, and presto -- a hot meal ready to eat. Rather on the salty side, but quite tasty otherwise. There was chili, and beef stew, and something with noodles, and a few others. This was 1969, and I think a civilian version went along with the astronauts, including to the moon.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 11:23 AM
In reply to:

antinomianism: doctrine of the rejection of moral law

Is this a form of moral anarchy? This term, antinomianism, rings a bell...from literature perhaps?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 11:25 AM
Oh, I see. It's not a form of moral anarchy at all. Here's the brief definition from Onelook.com:

"noun: the theological doctrine that by faith and God's grace a Christian is freed from all laws (including the moral standards of the culture)"

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 01:00 PM
very appropriate for our times, eh?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 01:04 PM
So true, et'.

Posted By: wwh Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 01:48 PM
Dear WW: if you are feeling ambitious, try some Kant:
http://academics.vmi.edu/psy_dr/Kant's antinomies.htm

Posted By: Wordwind Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 02:11 PM
I did feel ambitious and read the link, which was refreshingly brief and to-the-point, although antinomianism wasn't specifically mentioned there. Free will was examined briefly. Thanks for posting the link, wwh.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 09:33 PM
an antinomy (as in the Kant link) is merely a contradiction between conclusions, or an intellectual paradox; the original sense was a contradiction in law, wherein lies the connection to antinomianism.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 10:07 PM
Thanks, tsuwm.

Posted By: wwh Re: antinomianism - 02/15/03 10:07 PM
Nom d'un pipe! I'm not the only one making typos today. Kant made me ill, but not
with antimony.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: antinomianism - 02/16/03 12:25 AM
We all make typos, wwh! But thanks for this antinomianism and its cousins:

antinomianistically
antinomianistic
antiantinomianmentarianism

Posted By: wwh Re: anthophilous - 02/16/03 02:12 AM
Dear WW: I'm sure you pride yourself on being anthophilous - a lover of flowers.
which reminds me that "anthology" has a poetic background:
anthology
n.,
pl. 3gies 5Gr anthologia, a garland, collection of short poems < anthologos, gathering flowers < anthos (see ANTHO3) + legein, to gather (see LOGIC)6 a collection of poems, stories, songs, excerpts, etc., chosen by the compiler
an[tho[log[i[cal 7an#0! l9j4i k!l8
adj.

© Wordsmith.org