Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jheem catechumen - 10/13/04 12:50 PM
catechumen :- "1. One who is being taught the principles of Christianity. 2. One who is being instructed in a subject at an elementary level." AHD. < katekhein 'to teach' (< kata- + ekhein 'to sound').

"The catechumens were being catechized during the catechism by none other than the Heresiarch Priscillianus, Bishop of Avila." Leon O'Roasery, Just Who Is Buried at Santiago de Campostella?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: catechumen - 10/13/04 01:04 PM
Leon O'Roasery

heh. really?

Posted By: jheem Re: catechumen - 10/13/04 01:10 PM
heh. really?

Why not? It was the nom de guerre of a polyonymous Irish citizen back during the second world war.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: really? - 10/13/04 03:03 PM
I'm enjoying *all your arcane sources, jheem.

Posted By: jheem Re: really? - 10/13/04 03:47 PM
Ta, AS. I've been meaning to post more entries from my little old library.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: catechumen - 10/13/04 04:16 PM
One being instructed at elementary level? Would that mean that a pupil = a catechumen?

And, if so, what would a student at average level be?

And, if such a term, what would a comparable student at advanced level be?

And, if such a term, what would the master be?

We have our everyday terms (pupil, student, scholar, master, professor), but I'm asking here about any hierarchy that would be directly related to catechumen.

Posted By: jheem Re: catechumen - 10/13/04 04:28 PM
The Padre may have another take on this, but the way I see catechumens is that they are being taught the fundamental dogma of the church before they can partake of mass. It's the stage between baptism and confirmation. The thing about the Greek (via Latin) word is that it literally means 'one who is being taught'. Student is literally 'one who is being eager', pupil is literally 'a little boy (pupus)' in Latin (or orphan in French).

© Wordsmith.org