Wordsmith.org
Posted By: danielle Pride and Sorrow - 02/28/01 12:50 AM
As a bilingual/bicultural teacher who grew up thinking that everyone spoke at least three languages, I see the pride in my student's parent's eyes as their children progress in English, and the sorrow, as the children can no longer communicate past basic wants and needs. Then I hear about the frustration as the children try to "go back" to their roots. Some are caught between two cultures and cannot identify with either. Language classes have been developed in high schools and colleges specifically designed for students who grew up hearing another language...they have some advantage over non-native listeners, but a disadvantage if they only remember the slang.

DAA
Posted By: deguoren Re: Pride and Sorrow - 03/09/01 09:56 PM
Hi Danielle,

the reality we have to face is simple: You can not have everything at the same time. If you have roots in two cultures, they are necessarily not as deep as if you are completely embedded in only one. But you gain a lot, on the other hand. Your horizon widens. This is what you can give to your students by teaching them language. And if you do it well, your pride should override your sorrows.

© Wordsmith.org