Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79413 09/01/02 05:52 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
For a couple weeks now, I have been annoyed by a new trick by Spammers.
They position window to that the upper right hand corner "x" is hidden, and I
have had difficulty defeating the trick, and have several times caused problems
by making changes I did not intend to. Anybody know an easy fix for this?
I am using Netscape, and don't know if problem is confined to Netscape.

Edit: naturally I mean "Spam problem". Naturally I hope Netscape has a solution
But thanks for the alternatives.

#79414 09/01/02 06:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Download Opera and activate the No Popup Windows option.

http://www.opera.com/

#79415 09/01/02 06:20 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>Download Opera and activate the No Popup Windows option.

Or download Mozilla and do the same, without any ad bar taking up screen real estate.

http://http//www.mozilla.org

#79416 09/02/02 12:16 AM
D
addict
addict
D
I don't think Netscape has a solution, but...

You can drag most pop-ups by clicking and holding the blue bar at the top of the screen. If you drag it down and left, the cross should become visible.

Or

IF you right-click (and hold) on the corresponding box in the task bar (usually down the bottom of the screen) you can select close from there.

#79417 09/02/02 12:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Also, Dr. Bill, you can point to the upper left corner of the banner window (usually there's a logo there) and click, then right click, and an exit or close menu opens...click exit or close.

#79418 09/02/02 12:51 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The big problem has been that when I drag it, before I can put the mouse pointer
on the "x" the window pops to right, hiding "x" again. I wish I had hacker talent
and could harass them somehow. It took a real anal orifice to decide that anyone
so harassed would buy from them.
I got Netscape for free, but since it has kept me from having any virus, where
I had one a week using Outlook Express, I'd like to stay with Netscape. Also my
daughter cancelled my 300 buck credit card, alleging bank charged too much for
it, but more likely fearing I would make downpayment on Brooklyn Bridge.

#79419 09/02/02 10:21 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
before I can put the mouse pointer on the "x" the window pops to right, hiding "x" again

Sounds like an irritating bit of Javascript, Bill, kicked off by screen events (mouse movement).

Either
1. Disable Javascript (you may well find you don't lose much, depending on the sites you visit). Don't have Netscape handy currently, but I think it's straightforward.

2. Close window using keypad rather than mouse. <ALT>+<F4> is probably the easiest way of doing this in Windows.

3. Get ad-blocking software. This will also do away with banner ads, and/or prevent them dancing around too much. I find it a considerable shock when I turn off AdsOff these days. Down side is it costs, though not necessarily much when you consider the benefits.

4. Get a browser that can block pop-ups, as suggested by others. Mozilla is free, but I'm an Opera fiend and have not for one instant regretted having paid for the ad-free version. It's also more like Netscape than IE (based on the same code I think), so the transition may be easier for you. And it's fantastically more efficient and economical than any other browser, though here I'm starting to really show my bias.

Non-related and non-integrated advertising on the Web is a pet hate of mine, as is character profiling by the use of cookies. But don't get me started.

#79420 09/02/02 01:17 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Brother Bill,
Fish and the boys have offered a practical solution to the unprecedented arrogance of those who feel that they own the internet and can impose whatever impediments or disruptions on we interneters at their whim. If someone behaved in this manner on a city bus they would be kicked in the balls.

A class action lawsuit is the only permanent solution. Sue everyone who violates our freedom of access to the information flow of the internet. Sue Bill Gates, his acts of possessive arrogance constitutes personal invasion too.
I hate lawyers, so if they won't take our class suit pro bono, we'll sue them too.

As for your daughter, send her a written letter demanding the return of your credit card. And if she doesn't comply, we'll sue her too.

Now on to other business : Bill everyone knows that you can't buy the Brooklyn Bridge. You can only lease it. Now I've got a deal...
We form a leasing corporation at three hundred dollars a share. You can be CEO. Well, the devil is in the details, but anybody with three hundred dollars in their pocket can see that we can make millions and millions in tolls alone, not counting food and drink concessions...Oops, me and my big mouth , I'll give you the particulars later by PM.

Trust me,
Milo.
PS: We could even rename it "The William W. Hunt Crossbay Bridge". Whata ya think?

#79421 09/02/02 01:40 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear milum: forgive me for saying so, but you are just the type my daughter thought I
was vulnerable to. If your bridge deal were possible, the lawyers would have it already
sewed up. My basic problem is that my annuity would not pay for nursing home when
I get gaga before long. So my daughter's charity is my best bet. Actually she lets me
use her credit card, but I don't want to hurt her feelings by complaining it is a bit
inconvenient.And I am like the lazy Texan dog that was yelping because he was
sitting on a cactus, but was too lazy to get up.

#79422 09/02/02 01:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Crossbay Bridge?

Sorry Milo, but the Brooklyn bridge doesn't cross a the bay.. the Veranzanno Narrow does cross the harbor, and NY harbor is divided into the upper bay and lower bay, but the narrows,(ie site of the bridge) is the demarker for upper and lower! so the bridge crosses the Narrows.)

the Brooklyn (and 7 others bridges, Manhattan,Williamsburgh, 59th street, Railroad, Triboro, Whitestone and Throgg's Neck ) all cross over what is commonly called The East River, which technically is a tidal straight.
As is the Harlem River. i work steps from the Brooklyn, and live 2.7 miles from the Throgg's Neck.

The George Washington Bridge crosses the North River (also know as the Hudson), and the Washington Bridge, the Dyckman, Kingsbridge and Marble Hill bridges cross the Harlem.

There are four tunnels as well, The Holland and the Lincoln, (under the North) and the Brooklyn-Battery and Queens Midtown tunnel under the East River. the Holland and the Lincoln are called Tubes, not tunnels, since technically they are tubes. (Some sort of engineering difference.)

The Brooklyn is a great bridge...and you could call it anything you want, and no one in NY would pay it any mind..

We still talk about the IRT, IND and BMT subway lines, but they three systems have been unites more than 70 years! and an attempt to change 6th Avenue to Avenue of the Americas has been equally unsuccessful..

As for tolls, well, the people of staten island have taught all NYer's a thing or two about tolls. I'll wait till you have your environmental impact statement approved! (that should happen about the time hell freezes over!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith