Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#55755 02/08/02 05:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A hearty "Good luck!" to the sports-minded of all nations who have athletes entered in the 2002 Winter Olympics! Let's hope the Olympic Spirit prevails, both on the field and off.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Congratulations to Italy's Stefania Belmondo, first Olympic champion crowned! Wins Gold Medal in Women's Cross Country Skiing. (are you watching, emanuela?)

#55757 02/10/02 04:36 AM
old hand
old hand
er - yes.

Whilst watching the opening ceremony I could not help but notice how the Europeans and North Americans trembled with fear before the mighty hordes from the Antipodes.

27 from Oz (3 of whom were knocked out of their comp on the first day) and 19 from Zild. Be very, very afraid.

stales

#55758 02/10/02 01:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And let's not forget the Brasilian bobsled team. Boa sorte to the Frozen Banana!

#55759 02/10/02 05:27 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
let's not forget the Brasilian bobsled team. Boa sorte to the Frozen Banana!

"Brazil - where the nuts come from" -
(to quote from the play "Charlie's Aunt" by Brandon Thomas)

and to my way of thinking *anyone who gets on (into) a bobsled is a Grade A nut! Those things are dangerous! But if they must, I wish them all good luck.

#55760 02/10/02 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, being knocked out of the competition early has some consolations. -- and i am sure one reason for the small contingent was someone from down under discovered early in the game that getting a drink-- something as simple as a beer! is a big deal in salt lake city.

they seem to have done a good job creating venues, and managing crouds.. but salt lake city is no sydney.. it is not a party town.
---------
i think its interesting that internation speakers talk of US hosting the games.. i see it as Utah hosting the games. most of the funds are state/corporate/donations, not federal funds. We are a united states.. but in some ways, states are still a bit autonomus.

Bean? Bel? talked about local (Canadian state/provience) rules about names changes in marrige, or civil/religious weddings. in US, each state make its own laws about age of consent, and other rules about marriage, and agrees to accept as legal any marriage that is legal in an other state. in old american movies, this gave rise to running off to maryland, to elope. In NY and much of Northeast, you must wait at least 3 day from when you request a marriage licence to when you get married. Maryland lets you get married on the spot.. Lots of other states do, too, but it was the closest.

do the state in ozzie land work the same way?

#55761 02/10/02 10:50 PM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Salt Lake city is, in my opinion, a strange choice for a big have-fun-drink-play-games thing, since the Mormons all live there and won't let you do anything.
Hey Faldage, how does a team from a tropical country have any chance in a sledding competition?

#55762 02/10/02 10:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ask the Jamaicans, mon.

#55763 02/10/02 11:57 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
do the states in ozzie land work the same way?

I'm not an expert on this topic (having never been married, nor lived in another state) but here's some info I've found:

Marriage in Australia
Before a marriage ceremony can be solemnised the bride and groom must decide where the marriage will occur and whether the ceremony will be a religious or civil event. Both forms of ceremony are recognised as legal marriages by Australian law.

A 'notice of intended marriage' must be completed and lodged with the person who is going to perform the ceremony (proposed celebrant) at least one month, but no more than six months, before the preferred date of marriage. The notice is obtained from the proposed celebrant

The bride and groom must show the proposed celebrant documentary proof that they are 18 years old or older. That proof must be a birth certificate or extract if born in Australia. If the bride or groom were not born in Australia, then the celebrant can accept a valid passport or a citizenship certificate.

The marriageable age in Australia is 18 years for both males and females. Marriage of a person who has attained the age of 16 years but is under 18 years is possible only if the person they are marrying is 18 years or older. In this situation, parental consent and a judge or magistrate's order are required for the minor. Two people under 18 years of age cannot marry each other.

If either party has been married before then that person must show the celebrant proof that they are free to remarry. That proof is usually a decree nisi of dissolution of marriage that has become absolute or a death certificate.

Excerpt from the Western Australian Births, Deaths and Marriages website (emphasis mine). Yes, stales, you sandgropers manage to make this information available better than any other state in our fine land!

So, I guess the answer to your question is that we operate on a National basis here in Ozstralya. How we ever managed to agree on something like this is beyond me, since we can't all agree about things as simple as Daylight Savings Time

Hev

"no longer a stranger..."

#55764 02/11/02 01:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, I did not know that matrimony is considered an Olympic sport. Now someone tell me how THAT might be judged, as well as "the difficulty of judging the sexual olympics"

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith