Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44416 10/12/01 11:21 PM
J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
Some of you may remember me complaining about my school, paticularly the lack of any foreign language besides Spanish. I have more to add now. My Spanish teacher is going to teach me Latin, and she was trying to find the books she used when she taught it, and, even though the school was supposedly keeping them in storage for her, they tosed the books out. And I'm not the only person who want to learn it. Another person is, and one of my friends says he would if he didn't have trouble as simple a language as Spanish. Why can't they just keep the books?

G
old hand
old hand
G
Storage space may be tight, and books for defunct classes, particularly books not of recent issue, are deemed worthless and are eliminated. Keep in mind that schools are run by administrators, NOT educators.

I'm sure that our several Latin scholars can recommend sources for books, and, if you like, I can trot down to Powell's Books (an entire city block of used books here in Portland, Oregon) and pick up a couple of good used Latin textbooks for you.

J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
I'd take you up on that, but my dad says we already have 5 quintillion books and don't need more, and I don't know the school's address.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bummer, Sweetie. I think you ought to be able to study Latin if you want to. Do you have any money of your own?
Possibly the teacher would be glad to get a replacement, especially if you offer to split the cost. And most universities offer used books (cheaper) at their bookstores.
This could be a win-win-win situation: your teacher would have a textbook again; you'd get to learn Latin; and your dad wouldn't fuss about another book in the house.
Good luck!

B
veteran
veteran
B
JTD, give me your name & address by PM and I'll send you by mail an extra Latin grammar which I have been saving for years waiting for someone who might need it.

Good luck.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hell, BYB, that's good of you. Must cost a fortune to have that many stone tablets delivered by UPS!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
In my limited experiece, a course-on-CD is a very effective way to learn a modern language, and of course takes up little storage space. Not knowing latin, I can't say whether CD's, if available, would be equally effective for that language.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think "Winnie ille Pooh" (sp?) is still in print and might be a place to start as it appears to be a direct translation so the English version of Winnie the Pooh would be your trot.
Also I believe Powell Books is on line!

J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
byb: I'll see what my Spanish teacher is doing to get books, and then I will see you or Geoff about them. I think she said she'd trick the publishers to give her free books.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I think she said she'd trick the publishers to give her free books.
If need be, I hereby propose a modest "AWAD latin-scholarship fund". Since the teacher is donating (her time), why shouldn't we?

PS to JTD: Speaking as a father of college age kids (and presuming you're a bit younger than they). If your dad gives you grief about the excess volume of books,
(1) dump other books of equal of greater volume, and tell him so (gambit: if you don't want to dump them permanently, someone -- your teacher? -- will store them for you)
(2) point out to him that when you appy to college, it will look great on your essay to be able to say that you had the initiative to teach yourself latin; it could well translate into signifiant scholarship funds for college (especially since it will also earn you a sterling recommendation-letter from the spanish teacher). A superb investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith