Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37265 08/01/01 10:14 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a parallel thread has devolved into a discussion of emoticons, particularly variants of the ubiquitous smiley, to signal humorous intent. how about we talk about the effects of humor? I direct you to the following:
http://www.stanford.edu/~quatro/humor/humortheory.html

#37266 08/01/01 10:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting, oedipus~ thanks for the link.

seems to me, though, that the humor referred to therein is pretty much of the "joke" genre, and i think most folks (at least in this forum) would agree that the *funniest* humor doesn't contain a punchline at all, but rather exists in the form of witty retorts, esoteric references, dilogical statements, tongue-in-cheek cynicism hi tsuwmetc. it's the repartees that have me rolling hi, mav, and hardly ever the jokes (particularly shaggy dogs.. blech).

#37267 08/01/01 10:25 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#37268 08/01/01 11:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well even in wit-- what makes the witty come backs so funny is the element of sharpness-- wit is like a very sharp pin touched to an overblown ego of a balloon. (buffoon!) wit can be very agressive--but the wit and humor-- here are either self denegrating, or not to sharp..

since our intent is not to harm-- its can be likened to a sport... football(american) or rugby can be very violent sports.. but the teams walk off the field and are friends. this forum is not nearly so agressive. (we certainly don't go about "flaming" each other) Our wit and word play are careful sport-- we battle each other to be on top-- but if in our word play, some one get injured, we all look to the injured party-- without to much real blame going to the person who caused the injury. there is a sence, at least on my part, that no one is out to seriously hurt my feelings, or others. so the sling and arrows, are pin pricks-- they sting for a moment.. but oh the fun of watch the balloon careen around the room with the sudden loss of pressure!

So long as there is more fun, than pain, we are fine. I do think that there is plenty of humor that is hurtful..

did you hear about the group of blonds that went out celebrating.. round after round of drinks, and with each round the cheer of "only 6 weeks" went up.

finally the bartender asks the blonds.. "what are celebrating?"

On blond offer an explaination. "we decided to take up jig saw puzzles as a hobby. The first one we tried was labeled '4 to 6 years' and we completed it only 6 weeks!"

#37269 08/01/01 11:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now that ofTroy has given us a *classic example of what tsuwm's link (I, too, thank you) was all about, I'll ask the following which goes direct to tsuwms initial request:

Do the meaning of words become less valid when they are masked under a humorous veil...?...is a point I would make with a wink and a smile apt to be ignored or considered less truthful because of the surrounding context(s)...?

It may take me an extra second or two (or a specific question) to extract the humorists intent, but I'll accept the delay as "paid for in advance".

#37270 08/02/01 12:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Did anyone see the recent article about how wit and language has suffered from the loss of popular punnery so prevalent until the beginning of the 20th Century? If I can find it I'll post it. By the way, they mentioned Conundrums (The Riddler 1839!).

B
old hand
old hand
B
> of Troy has given us a *classic example of what tsuwm's link was all about

I never find such jokes hurtful, because any group can be substituted into the position of 'blonde girls'. While travelling with a group of Turkish and Greek people last summer we started telling jokes. It turned out the Greek told some of the same jokes as the Turks, just with roles switched!
I found the article interesting, if wholly unfunny...
the guy who wrote it probably never understood those dirty jokes at school and just has it in for comedy. An article about humour without any humour, has been written by the wrong person. To me humour is about laughing at life - because it twists in such wickedly funny ways!

"Laughter has no foreign accent"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One of the funniest things I ever (heard, read) was a long and rather dispassionate explanation of a joke that completely drained all the humo(,u)r out of the joke but, in the process, had me ROTFLMAO.

#37273 08/02/01 11:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: "any group can be substituted into the position of 'blonde girls'. "

I re-read my post-- and yeah, i said blonds-- but never said girls-- (and could point out, most girls aren't permitted in bars, though women and ladies are...!) Funny isn't it how we add words we expect-- almost no one makes fun of blond guys-- so a dumb blond joke must be about women!-- or in the dumb blonde parlance-- girls!

My daughter (a red head) keep me supplied with blond jokes..at one point in my life i was a natural blonde-- now i get a boost from lady clariol. I think i have heard them all. I know they are jokes-- and i don't get hurt feelings..

Why do blonds frequently have bruises around their belly buttons? 'Cause blond guys aren't to smart either!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Thanks for the link, tsuwm. The paper has to be one of the funniest things that I have read for months! (sorry b-y - I have to disagree with you on this!) I don't think he was actually trying to be funny, which makes it even more risible, but if he has produced a "spoof" paper, it is very good.
I find it impossible to take such pretentious rubbish seriously.
Certainly, many - most, even - "jokes" have a target, but surely the really humourous items involve word-play, paradox and bathos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith