Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15060 01/08/01 09:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This has nothing to do with language, but since I'm not the first to bring up a thread that has to do with other aspects of modern-day life, I feel OK to indulge in a little rant here:

How many of you have received 'The Dalai Lama's 19 maxims for a good life in the new millennium'? (or titles to that effect...) I have gotten 6 of these E-mails in as many days. I'd received this once before, maybe a year ago, and thought it was pretty good. But now I'm getting them as part of group mails from people I don't even know , I guess because some have been couched as threatening chain-letters (don't think his holiness would be pleased.)

I guess what bothers me the most about this is that so many folks have not learned to use the blind c/c option when sending group mails, so my E-mail address is apparent to everyone else on the list (and vice-versa).

I'd like to find an E-mail "netiquette" site I could just zap to thse people - especially the ones who send those stupid urban legends and virus warnings without researching their validity first (I do have a site for that: http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blhoax.htm?pid=2733&cob=home)

Thank you for your indulgence. End of rant.

#15061 01/08/01 09:34 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
AnnaS, some here hate the word, but this looks like a good general purpose netiquette link, one that you could quote from perhaps. http://www.albion.com/netiquette/book/index.html

#15062 01/08/01 10:13 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Anna

This annoys me too. I got one e-mail, specifically forwarded because of the interesting e-mail addresses it contained. I'd rather that mine was not passed around so liberally.

I seem to get very few of these things these days, I think it is going out of fashion to forward e-mails endlessly. Either that, or no-one likes me any more!

#15063 01/08/01 10:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anna, this is part of a site that sounds really helpful to people not very familiar with the internet. I really need to take the time to read it all, myself, but a certain
bulletin board tends to occupy my on-line time.

This page from that site may not be all that helpful for your specific problem, but you never know, so:
http://www.ker95.com/internet101/html/spam.html

#15064 01/09/01 04:26 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This may not be a solution, but it is a panacea. If you are using M$ Outlook as your email program you can download a patch for it (an inbox assistant) which allows you to deal with known incoming email. Exchange Server has it built in, but the clients that you and I use don't. You can set up rules which can be triggered to simply delete email from unwanted senders, or to delete emails with certain words in the subject field or any one of a number of other criteria.

You can find it for Outlook 97 at http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/downloadDetails/ruleswiz.htm?FinishURL=/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=18098&redirect=no.

I bet Netscape, Pegasus Mail and the others have something similar.

Alternately, you can learn how to flame (send huge amounts of unwanted and meaningless emails over a period of time) an email address, but that can get you into trouble with the Man!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#15065 01/09/01 09:31 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

Pegasus Mail and the others have something similar.

The outstanding Pegasus (sourced in your turangawaewae, CapK) does have very good filtering options. I don't use them, as I use its selective download feature instead. I check the headers of my email before downloading them from the server, and delete spam straight off my ISP's server, so that it never even clutters up my own trashbox.

#15066 01/09/01 10:51 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
> The Dalai Lama's 19 maxims for a good life in the new millennium'? (or titles to that effect...) I have gotten 6 of these E-mails in as many days.

The Dalai Lama himself received these messages - 9 of maxims were news to him.

#15067 01/09/01 03:31 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
so many folks have not learned to use the blind c/c option when sending group mails, so my E-mail address is apparent to everyone else on the list (and vice-versa).

(Dear AnnaStrophic,
Oh, Oh, Oh, please tell me how to do this and whether it works in Outlook Express?
(Eternally grateful emoticon)
I have learned that in forwarding I can erase previous addresses and generally clean up the copy. Even though it is time consuming for me I feel it is only polite to do the clean up for the person whose privacy I am invading by forwarding stuff. One must have respect for the other person's time, too, n'est ce pas?

wow

#15068 01/09/01 06:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, guys, for the spam filter info, though that's not really my problem. This has hardly ever happened to me, just a few times from well-meaning friends (of friends). I will check out that "netiquette" site, thanks, Max; and the site you posted, too, thanks, Jackie .

wow, I am a die-hard Mac person so I don't know from Outlook. My E-mail program has an option called "blind c/c," whence I learned the term. It might be called something else in Gatesville. If you don't see something like that, your option might be to create a group mailing list and then send the E-mail to yourself to preserve the others' privacy... not sure about that, though. But there are lots of folks here to help you.
Bravo to you for cleaning up forwards before sending them on. You and I must be among the 100th of 1 percent who do so. It's only courteous.

#15069 01/09/01 06:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The Dalai Lama himself received these messages - 9 of maxims were news to him.

Avy, you jest, eh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 771 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith