Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I am reposting JazzOctopus' post separately as it seemed to important to me to be buried at the bottom of the old "Graduations Part2" thread.

JazzO said:
http://www.wwwthreads.com, the company that markets lovely discussion boards like these. I went nosing around this site and decided to take a look at . . . what they offer for the board services. Either this isn't the newest version of the board, or Anu just decided not to use most of the features, because there are a lot of other things that they offer . . . One of the things I noted was that the board administrator (Anu, in our case) is able to customize the titles that are determined by ones number of posts. I took a look around the sample discussion board that they have on their website and lo and behold, it's the same titles as we have here. I've concluded that we've been spending a great deal of time talking about titles that aren't even our own.

Thank you, Jazz. I decided to have a look at the site after reading your post, and the feature that really caught my eye was the ability the board administrator has to set up the bopard so that each user sees he time of posts displayed in the user's local time This would be very useful, I think. I have asked Anu for help on a couple of points before, and have never received any reply, so I thought that I might post this to see if perhaps someone that Anu is willing to talk to might be able to ask him to consider implementing some of the additional capabilities the board's software offers. I also agree with you Jazz on the matter of titles. It does seem a little deflating to think that the descriptions which have provoked so much discussion here are simply the generic, out-of-the-box variety.

N
N
If you want to ask the board's administrator a question, why not do so directly? I'm sure there will be an email address somewhere for people to use to contact the webmaster, or whoever it is that runs this board.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
to set up the bopard

Half ox and half leopard? What a heraldic beast.

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

to set up the bopard

Half ox and half leopard? What a heraldic beast.

Well spotted.

#14428 01/04/01 07:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max says: "I think I have asked Anu for help on a couple of points before, and have never received any reply, so I thought that I might post this to see if perhaps someone that Anu is willing to talk to might be able to ask him to consider implementing some of the additional capabilities the board's software offers."

Here is either (a) further proof that there is no Anu or (b) the beginnings of a kind of high priesthood which distinguishes between those to whom the fictituious Anu listens and speaks and those lesser beings to whom he does not.

#14429 01/04/01 12:42 PM
old hand
old hand
further proof that there is no Anu or (b)..
Those conclusions appear overly hasty to me. It could be that Anu, stoical in the face of changing fashions, just wants to keep the frame fixed considering the wild variations of the picture it encloses.
Indicating the local time of each contribution would make it next to impossible to follow an exchange chronologically.

#14430 01/04/01 08:06 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
wsieber confused me with Indicating the local time of each contribution would make it next to impossible to follow an exchange chronologically.

Whu?! I'm sorry, but that comment makes no sense to my poor stunted synapses. As I understood the comment at www.threads' homepage, the board could be configured so that each user sees all times displayed in their local time zone, in much the same way that email clients, and Usenet newsreader software does. I spend waaay too much time on Usenet, and all the posts I see are shown in my local time, irregardless of the time zone of the sender. This makes it supremely easy to follow threads chronologically. I see a post displayed in my time zone, and if I reply, the original poster will see my reply displayed in his or her time zone. This is what I thought the makers of this board software were saying their product could do for boards like this one.

#14431 01/04/01 08:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it seems that we may have been customized somewhat after all; here is the documented standard set (or this may use an updated standard):

0 messages ----- Stranger
5 messages ----- Newbie
20 messages --- Member
50 messages --- Enthusiast
200 messages - Addict
500 messages - Veteran

#14432 01/05/01 02:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mad Max says: "...all the posts I see are shown in my local time, irregardless of the time zone of the sender."

You KNOW you are going to catch hell for using "irregardless."

#14433 01/05/01 03:17 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Father Steve warned You KNOW you are going to catch hell for using "irregardless."

But of course. Why else the wink?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith