Print Thread
#205448 04/12/12 01:47 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Blind author's work recovered by forensic experts after her pen ran dry
By Alastair Jamieson, msnbc.com

LONDON -- A blind British writer failed to notice her pen had run out of ink while writing 26 pages of a book, but her lost words were recovered by police forensic staff.

Trish Vickers, who took up writing after losing her sight, uses pen and paper and is helped by a volunteer who comes by to type up her manuscripts.

Her son, Simon, also reads her work back to her during his regular visits to her home in Dorset, England.

It was during one of his visits that he discovered she had written 26 pages, but there was nothing on the paper, according to the Bridport and Lyme Regis News which first reported the story.

“We battled with various ideas until we thought of the police. We rang them and asked to speak to their fingerprint section. They said if there was anything they could do they would be happy to help. I was gobsmacked and so happy," Vickers, 59, told reporter Rene Gerryts.

Her son drove her to the county police headquarters, whose officers worked in their spare time to recreate the missing words from her manuscript.

“I think they used a combination of various lights at different angles to see if they could get the impression made by my pen. I am so happy, pleased and grateful. It was really nice of them and I want to thank them for helping me out," Vickers said.

Dorset Police were unavailable for comment.

Jackie #205452 04/12/12 03:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This was recently done on one of the Crime Solving
TV shows. One wonders how much of that is reality
or creative writing on the part of the show's producers.
It is nice to know it can be done. Also daunting in
reality. Thanks for the posting.

----please, draw me a sheep----

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith