Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have just moved into a high rise building. Unlike most buildings (in US, and NY)it has exterior "hallways", called "catwalks". Many motels use exterior hallway, with entry to the rooms coming off a open terrace or deck. (in my building, the catwalk leads to several small 'halls' each a little over 4 feet (1.25 meters or so) by 6 feet(1.8 meters) where 2 or 3 apartment have an entry. you don't enter or exit directly to the catwalk)

I also know the term 'catwalk', as a theatrical term, for narrow, scaffolding like passages, used to gain access to lighting and/or special effects, high up, both behind the stage, and in front of the stage)

three questions,
what would you call an exterior hallway?
why are catwalks called that?
finally, is catwalks the correct term for the scaffolding in a theater? or is it a misused term... (that, is, are catwalks something specific, and i am misusing the term?)

and a bonus question, are exterior hallways common in your neck of the woods? (i am pretty sure they are used in high rise-low income (council?)housing in UK, i have seen them in imported UK police dramas--are they called catwalks there?)

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'm not looking this up, of troy--just taking a blind stab.

Cats can walk easily at great heights and still maintain their sense of balance--high walls, ledges, limbs of trees. They maintain their balance and poise nearly always.

I would guess that walkways perched high came to be known as 'catwalks' because the cat does walk so gracefully at heights.

I've been involved in theatre nearly my whole life and have always heard about the catwalks above (and sometimes around and above) the stage. There's another term I've heard for an area accessible to the light techs, but I can't think of it right now. Maybe Juan can provide it. But you do hear 'catwalks' regularly around theatres.

And your other comment about the hallways that are outside apartments. Could they be referred to as 'breezeways'?

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Re: And your other comment about the hallways that are outside apartments. Could they be referred to as 'breezeways'?

I never hear that term (breezeway's) in NY...

I know, in the past, we have done some thread on buildings and terms for residences...and some of this thread might end up as a YART, but i don't care... it was a long way back.

My apartment has a terrace..(a 5 X 10 foot)(or about 1.5 X 3.5 M/rough estimate here) out side space..(for my private use) but my home had a deck (an elevated outside space made of wood) some homes have patio's (which to me, are outside spaces that are at ground level(and are very close to level with the lowest level of the house. In US ranch style houses, which have no basement/cellar areas, this often means they are level with the main floor of the house.

I think of a breezeway as covered are, often with open sides, but it could be screen in, or even have half walls and windows/screens above, that connects the main building of the residence with an out-building (usually a garage, but it could connect to a guest house)

The exterior hallways(catwalks)are about 4 feet wide (a bit over a meter)and they have metal railings, and mesh fencing, that is about 5 feet high. anyone with a serious fear of heights would find them uncomfortable--at least at my level (14th floor).

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> what would you call an exterior hallway?

I'm not sure, they are common in blocks of council flats built in the fifies and sixties. I remember the ones in Moss Side in Manchester being built and announced as the next big thing - "terraces in the sky". Many of those have since been demolished. In general, I'd probably call them balconies, even if they were not just individual balconies but connecting several flats.

In the case of the Barbican Centre in London, once regarded as a fifties-designed carbunkle and now a listed building, they are called "walkways". The walkways connect the flats but some are accessible to the public. Thinking about it, maybe only the ones with public access are called walkways.

(The Barbican) ... as a model for high-density urban living of the kind we are all being urged to consider today, it has few peers. But as its name implies, it is a fortress. It does not weave itself into the surrounding cityscape at all. This is because it was predicated upon a complete high-level pedestrian walkway system extending throughout the City: a system that was pursued vigorously for some years, and then gradually forgotten. The surviving fragments of the walkway system are in their way as evocative Roman city wall that was carefully revealed during construction. The City has now gone in another direction entirely: instead of separating pedestrians and cars, it actively discourages car use, with great success. The fact that this change of heart came about as a result of terrorist bombings does not alter the effectiveness of the outcome.
http://hughpearman.com/articles2/barbican2.html

> is catwalks the correct term for the scaffolding in a theater? or is it a misused term... (that, is, are catwalks something specific, and i am misusing the term?)

A catwalk, in my experience, is the term for a built-in element of a theatre (usually a fairly large theatre) giving access to the lighting grid. The one that I used to use, wasn't big enough to walk on - you had to move along on all fours. I'd assumed that was the reference to a cat. There was a place on the catwalk for the follow spot operators to sit. When I was involved in lighting, the term wouldn't have been used for a temporary scaffolding arrangement. The thing that is moved around to access high level lighting was called a talloscope. http://www.schoolshows.demon.co.uk/resources/technical/gloss7.htm

In terms of the use of a catwalk by models, isn't it because they are notoriously "catty"?

#99823 04/02/03 10:02 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
In old poor buildings in Milan (central, and very expensive now) there are "le case di ringhiera" = houses of railings (very typical), they fit in your description,since all the small apartments have the door in a narrow open air corridor( often about 80 cm, 3 feet). Is that, your catwalk?

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Probably any elevated narrow access way meant for occasional use might be called a catwalk, along the jib of a tower crane for example, but not an external access way to flats (apartments) – that would be a balcony to me too.

A walkway at ground level, needed to provide infrequently used access across wet or muddy ground, might be made from duck-boarding that looks like a picket fence laid on its side.

Breezeway is not a term you hear used much in the UK. I have heard it used by Australians to describe an opening left between buildings, or maybe only at ground floor level, to provide a fresh breeze to a back area. What the US calls a yard the UK calls a garden by the way, although we would use the term back yard to describe a flat concreted utility area – but there may well be regional differences in usage.

We use the term patio in the way ‘of troy’ described and to me it would probably be smaller than something I would call a terrace…but one man’s terrace is probably another’s patio!

Decks are becoming more popular here, but there used to be a catch-phrase from Henry Crun on the Goon Show: “You can’t get the wood you know.” This was a reference to the shortage of seasoned timber in the UK that has persisted since WW2. I am sure it is true to say that all decking is imported and therefore not cheap. Also, in our climate, patios, terraces and decking all suffer from algae growth (that slimy black mildew?) and it is a constant battle to keep them clean. I suspect cleaning may be more of a problem with decking than with concrete or stone.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
a roofed often open passage connecting two buildings (as a house and garage) or halves of a building --MW

I was thinking of the breezeway at my old school--lovely, really, in its own way. It was a long enclosed glass passage between the main building and the building that housed the gym and library. When I wondered whether of troy's outside passage might be called a 'breezeway,' I was just wondering--I didn't realize that the definition of breezeway was so obviously restricted.

It would help to see a photograph, of troy, of an outside passageway to understand exactly what yours is like.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
And, from one of those Goon Shows:

Police-Eccles to Grytpype-Thinne: "Do you know that you're driving your piano on the wrong side of the road, sir?"
Grytpype-Thinne: "But constable, it's a French piano."
Police-Eccles: "Oooooh, well dat's all right, den!"

- Pfranz

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Catwalks are called that because you have to pussyfoot along them...har har har. Seriously, here's Atomica's rather limited def.: A narrow, often elevated walkway, as on the sides of a bridge or in the flies above a theater stage , which leads me to ask: flies? Jo? (I am delighted to see you back here, btw!)
Helen, I'm not sure that I've seen the kind of exterior "hallways" you're talking about. The only thing I can think of is fire escape. What we call housing projects here are called council estates in England.
Emanuela (lovely to see you, too, my friend), I was interested to see that the U.S, isn't the only place where a poor, inner-city area has gotten refurbished and become popular--and of course, more expensive. I know of a certain part of Chicago (as do you!) is, as is the Butchertown neighborhood in Louisville, so called because it's near the stockyards.

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, i am sure you have been in 2 or 3 story motels-- i know you like to travel, and they are common.

a Hotel has interior halls, a Motel, can be one or multi storied building, with exterior halls...

you get off the elevator, and walk down an open terrace, and all the motel rooms are entered from the terrace...

It is done this way for several reasons; economy, (the halls don't have to be heated, or carpeted) safety,(it is harder for anyone to break into a room if it visible from parking lot, and fire safety, too.)and generally because the original motels tended to be one story structures, the didn't have interior halls, but opened (for convience) right onto parking lots. The multi level motels followed the same design.

Often, the elevator is in a 'lobby', a glass walled room that also has vending machines and the ice machine. the lobby connects to two walkways, a H shape, with the lobby being the cross bar of the H, and all the rooms are entered from the walkway.

This style of building is very common in japan, where, interior halls are taxed as living space (even if they are common public halls) and exterior halls are not taxed at all!

(and boston triple deckers some times have back porchs, that are part of the back stairs. a person on the third floor, could walk down to the second, and the stair landing would be part of the back porch. nothing but good manners keeping it private. Doesn't Chicago have similar building? )

The walkways (catwalks)in my co-op have rules that they can not be used as terraces.. nothing can be put on them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 939 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith