Next Thread
Print Thread
#66118 04/18/02 09:16 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In trying to pin down the porcelain in my head, I found some information about the Mongols and porcelain. It seems that the colors white and blue were predominantly used. Why blue and white? I can't find what it was about those specific colors that made them so easily accessible and transferrable.

Does anyone know anything about the porcelain paints of the period--about 1271 - 1360s? What they were made of and what we would properly call them other than "white" and "blue"?

There's gotta be more to this than meets the eye.

Broken receptacle,
WordWashed

#66119 04/18/02 11:08 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I'm no expert on porcelain, but I've been to Meissen before. That's the place where (as far as I know) they make some of the best and most expensive (handmade) porcelain in Europe. We bought a little vase for about $100US: with a entire dinner set costing around $6-7 thousand. Their standard design also uses the cobalt blue underglaze. It always looks pretty hazy when one compares it to modern porcelain prints (like Villeroy & Bock)
Bottom of page shows an early design:http://www.bauerart.com/meissen2.html

I found this on the tradition of cobalt blue on white:

"Painting the porcelain surface may be done in several ways. One method is to use a colored glaze, such as the famous Chinese celadon. This glaze is a soft gray-green color. Another type of decoration is underglaze (designs painted on a piece before it is glazed). A deep blue made from the metal cobalt is the most dependable color used for underglazing. Cobalt blue has been widely used both in China and in Europe."
http://www.artistictile.net/pages/Info/Info_Porcelain.html

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith