Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173600 02/16/08 05:53 AM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
My Mom, brother and I recently sat down to review everything with the doctor before Mom's surgery and the doctor mentioned that one of her heart medications is prophylactic. Ken, an educated man but with no medical background, admitted to me afterwards that he said nothing at the time because I seemed satisfied but his first thought was "What are they going to be doing to my mother?!? She's 82, she can't get pregnant!"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interesting how words change. Prophylactic, adjectival form of prophylaxis 'prevention of a disease', a euphemism for a condom, back in the day when they could not be sold as a contraceptive, but as a method of preventing the spread of venereal disease (also a euphemism for sexually transmitted diseases (or STD). From Greek προφυλαξ (prophulaksis) 'advance guard' (cf. French avantgarde), from pro- + phulaks 'guard' (cf. phulassein 'to keep guard before a place / house; (med.) to take precaution against'); it is not in Pokorny IEW, and its origin is summarized by Chantraine as inexplicable and obscure. (But I'm sure that hasn't stopped any étymologistes manqués from connecting it to Sumerian, Basque, Etruscan, High Martian, and Proto-Lemurian.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Zed--ha; I'll bet your brother was wondering where exactly were they going to put that prophylactic! Quite understandable.

zmjezhd--have you written any dictionaries? Or contributed to any--if you don't mind saying, that is?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You see what can be the result of an overdose (no pun intended) of the usage of professional terms. If the doctor had given you the word preventive all would have been clear at once.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
have you written any dictionaries?

Not yet ... but there is always hope.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
Isn't there a wikipedic dictionary coming out soon?

Wikipedic On the wrong foot. From Ped backformed from the Greek Back Pedal meaning trying to get one's foot out of one's mouth and Wicked variously considered to be from Greek bad or from the Old English wickett meaning precariously balanced or badly cited see sticky wicket

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I'm sure that hasn't stopped any étymologistes manqués from connecting it to Sumerian, Basque, Etruscan, High Martian, and Proto-Lemurian.

You left out Edenic.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage

You left out Edenic.

Oh, good grief!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Originally Posted By: Faldage

You left out Edenic.

Oh, good grief!

Quote:
The bulk of the research does not involve word pairs with fairly exact correspondence of sound and sense. The work is literally radical in that one has to first isolate the roots of the proposed twin words separated at birth since Babel. Edenic (Proto-Semitic or Ancient Hebrew roots plus non-Biblical roots recovered from other Semitic languages) demonstrates that language in its uncorrupted state is a natural science, much like physics or chemistry and created by the same Mind. Despite what we learned in school, language is NOT the result of the evolved grunting of cavemen who evolved from separate herds of apes. On the contrary, understood correctly, word roots are as perfect a value as are numbers. Just as there is a positive and negative number in math or matter and antimatter in physics, Edenic roots can also be charged with negative ions or carry the meaning of their antonyms. (Another proof of non-human engineering.) Let us quickly observe an example of Edenic's organic, modular 2-letter root system where sound-alike synonym and antonyms are observable.

hoo, boy!

grunt, grunt... babble, grunt...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Somebody came gallavanting into Wordorigins with this lovely piece of nonsense some time ago. There was someone else about the same time with the notion that each letter had a base meaning and every word could be understood on the basis of its set of letters, but I don't remember what they called it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith