Note to Admin:: I will understand if you can't use this letter to the L.A. Times as it has a slight though unbiased political implication, yet might qualify by its concern with the effect of his name on a candidate's success. Or if you deem it in the wrong forum, feel free to switch it to another (though I'd be delighted if it happened fortuitously to be one listed on Forum Page, narcisst that I be), while I am open to any further criticism or suggestion on the basis of Protocol

If you do let it stand, though, I hope it might give our participants a chuckle in these somber and stressful times

zm, if you happen by chance to be on this Board also, please don't read the following as it may upset you unnecessarily but thank you sincerely for all your past support

Dear Sirs:

Given a background in psychology, many of us could easily have predicted much of the activity in the Presidential Arena. In the selection of a Maximum Leader subconscious forces far outweigh matters of political judgment. For instance it’s a good guess that Bush was elected principally on the basis of his looks, as after all he is a handsome fellow, whereas my Life Partner Laverne observes that Kerry looks like Ichabod Crane.

The dropout of Kucinich and Edwards was predictable on many accounts: The former is short of today’s Presidential Stature...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heights_of_United_...sidential_candidates

... and besides has a funny haircut, while in addition his name contains the sounds ”cuss,” “sin,” and itch”. Speaking of the pate, many wouldn’t vote for the latter on the basis of his trim alone. Would you trust the financial acumen of somebody who at one sitting would spend $400 on his locks? As the candidate should present a father figure to the dark recesses of the constituents’ tangled neurons, his youthful appearance may well have weighed against him too.

But for goodness sake, these days who would vote for a lawyer. More subtly, Edwards speaks out of the right side of his mouth–literally not figuratively–while perhaps not evident to the average voter, surely registering subliminally as a look of artifice.

As for Giuliani, while half of adult males are bald, barely 11 per cent of our presidents were so afflicted. Also he’s a lawyer.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question52578.html

Notwithstanding Laverne’s remark that his name carries a hillbilly connotation, The twang may foreshadow Hillary, but the effect of her middle name may outweight her first, on the basis that it suggests a firearm, symbolic of strength. “Huckabee” suggests a character from the works of Mark Twain; whereas “Barack Obama” is almost lyrical. But speaking of monikers, can Gravel loom high on the political terrain?

As for the rest we can’t offer a prediction, but comments are always welcome, while I am dalehileman@verizon.net.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley

dalehileman