Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Here at work the clinic is buying Christmas gifts for a couple kids, an 8 year old girl and a 12 year old boy. The girl requested books but didn't specify any titles. Can anyone recommend any good children's books for her and maybe for her brother too?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Do you know the children? Are they reading at age level?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I expect to have stones thrown at me, but I think Kipling's The Jungle Book and the Just So Stories are good for those ages.

old hand
old hand
Dear Doc

I think Kipling's The Jungle Book and the Just So Stories are good for those ages

No stone throwing here. Just recommending also, by Kipling:

Captain's Courageous

Stalky and Co. (though perhaps for slightly older readers - best school stories ever written, Wodehouse included).

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With E. B. White's Charlotte's Web you can't go wrong. Perfect for the 8 year old. The 12 year old might feel a little "too old" for the tome, but I secretly read it at 12 because I missed it when I was "younger" (secretly from my friends, that is), and I loved it!

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
I do not know the kids and can only hope that they are reading at age level. Thanks for the suggestions.

F
addict
addict
F
For the boy, I'd recommend Daniel Pinkwater. Some of his stuff is more for high school kids, but all of it would be great if he is at all sophisticated. His stuff is hilarious, thought-provoking, and wonderfully subversive. A more recent recommendation would be Michael Chabon's Summerland -- a fantastic novel about friendship, family, tradition, magic and baseball. Again, it may be a bit intimidating for a 12-year-old, but if he could handle Harry Potter, this will be no problem.

For the girl, I have to recommend Cat, What Is That? by Tony Johnston (Author), Wendell Minor (Illustrator). It is a beautiful poem about just what a cat is, with passages like:

It is the Slink.
It is the Sneak
on velvet toes
stalking the Squeak.

The words are rivalled by the amazing paintings, which could carry the book all by themselves. I'll look through my daughter's bookshelf tonight for more.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I was almost an eight year old boy by the time I finished LOTR for the first time, and had started on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, so there might be a couple of options.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max, don't skew the curve any more than you absolutely *have to.

Alex, since The Cat in the Hat has become Disney-pervasive (well, even if it hadn't), I'd recommend that and maybe another Seuss book for the 8-year-old. For the boy, maybe the Harry Potter books?
Anything by Daniel Pinkwater, as FlatL suggested, is a great choice, too.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I second the Seuss recommendation - The Lorax should be mandatory (except in those states of the US where it is proscribed).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith