Print Thread
#116735 11/27/03 08:08 PM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
Last night at youth group we were dicussing covetting and referred to "the green-eyed monster" and confused one Cantonese speaking parent. Once he figured out what we were talking about he said that jealousy is red-eyed. White is associated with death in some cultures rather than black.
In English we have
jealousy
sadness
despair
cowardice

Does anyone know examples form other cultures? Especially those where you would actually say "he is yellow" or "I am feeling blue" as though the color was the emothion.

#116736 11/27/03 11:26 PM
G
addict
addict
G
Does anyone know examples from other cultures?

Have you ever heard of the Luscher Color Test, Zed?

It has been used for decades in Europe as a serious tool in assessing the psychological state of patients/clients who are asked to arrange colored cards in order of personal preference.

Before they make their choices, test-takers are specifically asked not to associate the color of any card with anything else. They are supposed to contemplate the color itself, without making associations (with a red dress they might like, or a cultural referent or whatever).

There is a simplified Luscher Color Test which was published as popular book many years ago which includes approximately 8 colored cards, including 4 or 5 primary colors. It also includes a purple color card which plumbs the role of fantasy in the mind of the test-taker. Hence the dominance of purple in Disney and storybook fantasies.

The Luscher Color Test posits that the human response to colors is universal, meaning culture is largely or completely irrelvant.

For instance, all humans everywhere experience the yellow sun, green vegetation, brown earth and the blackness of night.

Blue does not equate to depression or "the blues" in the Test, and green does not relate to jealousy or envy.

The dark blue of one card has been shown to have a calming effect on those who concentrate on it, and the point has been made that this shade of blue is the same shade chosen for the blue favored for mediation rooms in the practice of Buddhism. [Whether that is true or not, I have no idea as I have never visited a Buddhist meditation room.]

The order in which one chooses the basic colors, yellow, red, blue, green, and orange, as I recall, is said to reveal deep insights into the psychological state of the person choosing their preferences.

#116737 11/28/03 05:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
because of the way the human eye sees color, it retains a memory of it.. ie, if you stare at a red star shape, for 1 to 3 minutes, and then stare at a white surface, you'll 'see' a green star. (the rods or cones that were excited by the constant visal input of 'red star' remain active even after the stimulation is removed.)

this is why hospitals, (and ER and surgical area's in particular) are painted green.. its restful to the eyes, and after staring at blood, and bleeding, when (dr and nurses) turn away, the 'after image' is lost in the green color of the walls and surgical scrubs.

green, as pastorial color, is also supposed to be a calming color as well.

i like high contrast-- my foyer is deep rich true purple, (its very small) decorated with gold/brass/silver toned picture frames, filled with family and floral photos... the very next room is bright lemon yellow, (just about the perfect opposite on the color wheel) the next room (living room/dining room) is a neutral blueish grey.. the enterance is very exciting, but things soon settle down, to a soft color.

what is amazing is almost no one notices the purple as they come in, they only notice it as they leave. --even people who i have told about the colors-- and who's first reactions is "PURPLE?"-- walk in and 'miss' the color of the entry way!

#116738 11/29/03 03:08 PM
D
addict
addict
D
there's a simplified laymans version of the test here:
http://colorquiz.com

hmm, simplified is the word

#116739 12/01/03 11:30 PM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
A bit like a horoscope reading. "Accurate " only because you read into the results only what you already know about yourself. I'd say thaey were about 50/50.

PS of troy in conversation about color choice the other day someone wanted to know why hospital ORs use green. I gave your answer and accepted credit for being very intelligent and knowledgable. [

#116740 12/02/03 04:54 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Returning for a moment to the original question (sort of), I know that in German, blau (i.e., blue) means drunk. Not exactly an emotion, but...

#116741 12/05/03 07:42 PM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
I wonder if that is where we get blotto. or would it be from blotting as in soaking up?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith