Next Thread
Print Thread
#71731 05/29/02 09:18 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, I've communicated with the Great Tsuwmbah, and he thinks this Hogwash round may be worth a try, so I'm gonna try to run it. Have never done this, so please excuse all miscalculations and errors. First: I don't know how to make the trademark or registered sign. Just tried with my character map, and the pastes didn't give me the signs I copied. Go figure.

Second, the word I found appears (to my knowledge) in only one thesaurus on the face of the earth, but it's a terrific word and should be introduced into other lexicographical sources. The source in which it is included is a reputable source.

And the word (rimshot!) is ferrophiliac.

If you want to play (and I shure ain't memorized the rules, so we can break 'em a lot!), please send me your definitions via PM only by a week from Sunday and that should be May 9th. Edit: June 9th Thanks again, Hyla!

I'll post the entries early Monday morning,June 10th.

Best regards,
Wordwind

H
addict
addict
H
The source in which it is included is a reputable source.

Just what are you implying here? So I tested some of the finest word minds on the planet to come up with a definition for a word that I then spelled wrong? Does this mean that I had selected the word from a source that was not reputable?? Hmmm. I guess the answer would be yes.

Anyway, ain't no way, no how, that a week from Sunday is May 9th, unless you'se is on the other side of the International Month Line, you lithaginous, figgum-minded ferrophiliac.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, not May 9th. Egad, errors are going to be rampant with my running this hogwash. Let's see...June 9th. That's it.

I'll go edit above. Thanks, Hyla.

Best regards,
DubDub

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, and I wasn't implying, Hyla, that your source hadn't been reputable at all. I just wanted to reassure the word hounds here that, even though this word doesn't appear where we habitually check out definitions, synonyms, and so on, it does appear in a reputable source and a thesaurus at that. I also wanted to make sure no one assumed I was using my hero, Mrs. Byrne!

Byrne regards,
DubDub

M
old hand
old hand
M
Dear Hogwashmistress,

Hooray! Hogwash Redux! Hooray!

And congratulations to you for becoming the first Head Sow in the modern era by wresting the reins of control from the brutish males who have too long dominated the sport of Hogwash. I know that now we can expect a kinder, more gentle, hogwash, a hogwash of honesty and good will without undue emphasis on winning.

One thing. In the spirit of Hogmistresses past do you not think that it would behoove the Head Sow to throw a small sop of slop to her piglets in styland in the form of a little hint?
Oink?

Oink, oink?

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear milum,

Five definitions (entries) have come in since yesterday, and the creative spirit is alive and bubbling in hearty slop. Don't mean to be pigheaded here, but them's that's created haven't seemed to need a hint. I 'spect the meaning's already there in the message.

And not a single grunt about the word's bein' a rare one, though it really does call for more widespread use.

But, you bein' a friend of language, I'll toss a hint your way:

Ferrophiliac does not appear in the pseudodictionary.

Best regards,
DubDub

#71737 05/31/02 09:20 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Oink, oink

Why does it only just occur to me that pigs never ever really go "oink"? It's more like ghnghAUwrgghhhk.

Have we had a thread yet on animal noises, those that are onomatopoeic, those that aren't, and real-life alternatives to the non-onomatopoeic ones?

(hi milum )

#71738 06/01/02 03:28 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In all fairness to participants here, I'm withdrawing this Hogwash Round Whatever from being played at the present time in consideration of recent events that have here unfolded. The daffinitions were splendifooliferous!

The pig arrived dead today in a black crate, a poison apple forced into its little mouth, its incipient smile unfolding there all stoppered up, and shattered crystal, furry slippers twisted (horribly twisted) about its manicured tiny hooves.

One day a princely piggy will arrive and kiss the pig under consideration, and the briars will fall away that have grown up all around this place of fractured fairytales.

This hogmistress is going home to cogitate upon trolls and gremlins and things that go BUMP!!! in the night just as they did last night while she slept.

Bidding you rest for anon,
WordWoundedWonderingWaitingWrestlingWorriedWoefullyWaning

#71739 06/02/02 03:35 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
This really sucks!
I thought politics and other "black" matters are confined to I & A and maybe Miscellany. They should not be there at all but I thought as long as they can be confined there that it is an acceptable compromise, at least to this poster.
Now I see that it has spilled over to this place which I thought is held sacrosanct by all word lovers.
It really is a crying shame and very disappointing.

#71740 06/04/02 04:14 PM
J
J
Whats going on?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 706 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith