I just had a chance yesterday to spend some time with my best friend from high school (we've now know each other a little over half our lives). He lives in another state so we only get to see each other every couple of years, which obviously creates some distance.

Last night, I was trying to find the right word to describe our relationship. "Best friend" doesn't seem quite accurate at this point, and almost seems to have been over used to the point where it's lost its meaning. "Closest friend" doesn't work either, but a simple "friend", or even "good friend" or "close friend" doesn't convey the depth.

I finally settled on a concept: "as close as a brother." There are also a couple of females that I consider "as close as a sister." Using the term "brother" or "sister" is confusing when talking to people, as I then have to explain that they're not biological siblings. The same is true when I try "adopted brother" or "adopted sister".

So, is there a word (even in another language) that carries this "as close as a brother" or "as close as a sister" concept that I can use when talking to them or about them, as when saying "This is Andy. He's my _________,"? Granted, I'd still have to explain myself, but at least it wouldn't be awkward, and might even teach people a new word.

Thanks!
- Randy