Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6683 09/20/00 11:45 AM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
What are some examples of ghost words in use today, in English?

#6684 09/20/00 02:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, brocklan! I'm tickled to death to have another
Southern gal on Board!

I wished he'd given examples, too! My personal opinion is
that orientate was one of those.

#6685 09/20/00 03:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>What are some examples of ghost words in use today, in English?

but that's the point; ghost words were mistakes, were exposed as such, and are NOT used today.
orientate is an example of mumpsimus.

Julian Burnside has this to say about ghost words:

These rare creatures haunt dictionaries for a time; occasionally
they escape into the real world; they differ from mumpsimus only in this, that they are created by lexicographers, and when
they are exposed they generally fade away.

Dord was, for a time, defined in Webster (1934) as meaning "density in physics or chemistry". It was entirely wrong: a
typesetter had misread "D or d, density in physics or chemistry". It is seen no more.

Howl was for a time picked up in dictionaries as a Scottish spelling of hovel. That was almost right, but not quite. The
dialect word is howf or howff - defined by the second edition OED as 'a place of resort, a haunt, a resort'. (Curious that it
should be a haunt: it gave rise to a ghost word, and is also the name of the burial ground at Dundee). Howf was thus
understood as a place where people lived; it appeared to be related to hovel; the English lexicographers have a tradition of
disdain for the Scots; and a typesetter got it wrong. So howl roamed the dictionaries for a time as a crude dwelling house.

Samuel Johnson enlivened his many triumphs with some spectacular blunders. (Asked once why he had defined pastern as
the 'knee of a horse', he replied "ignorance, madam, pure ignorance". And for his attitude to the Scots, see his definition of
"oats"). He is the father of a ghost word: foupe. His Dictionary describes it as follows:

"to FOUPE v.a. To drive with a sudden impetuosity. A word out of use
'We pronounce, by the concession of strangers, as smoothly and moderately as any of the northern nations, who foupe their words out of
the throat with fat and full spirits' Camden."

Well, he was partly right - it was certainly out of use: it had never been in use. The word as printed in Camden was soupe
(with the archaic long form of 's', the mistake was easily made). It is a dialect word with a meaning akin to swoop. Dr
Todd's edition of Johnson (1818) spotted the error and left it there, but pointed it out. The OED second edition also records
it. (It does not record Dord, but that was an American mistake). It identifies it as an error for soupe. Being thus exposed as
a ghost, but recorded anyway, makes foupe a shadow of a ghost: unique so far as I know.

Most ghost words are ephemeral; but during its brief existence in Johnson's London, foupe was exported to Barbados.
Presumably it went there as part of sailors' cant. However that may be, it came into use in Barbados, meaning the rollicking
copulation of animals (not humans). It is the sort of word politely castigated by dictionaries as (vulg.) or (not in polite use).
It is seen in the ad hoc social comments of graffiti artists and other nostalgic philologists, 200 years after its chimerical parent
faded away in England. If Barbadians compile a dictionary of their language, foupe will presumably materialize there, and
will join syllabus as a ghost legitimised at last.

#6686 09/20/00 03:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh! Oh! Thank you! Utterly fascinating!!
So if I wanted to show Bridget that I am really a
gutter-dweller (akin to bottom-feeder?), I could
say, "foupe you"?

But--why is syllabus a ghost word, Dear?

#6687 09/20/00 04:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>why is syllabus a ghost word

yes, well near as I can tell this was just a misspell of the Latin sillybus!

#6688 09/20/00 05:02 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Dord was, for a time, defined in Webster (1934) as meaning "density in physics or chemistry"

Isn't Dord more accurately described as the acronym for the Department of Redundancy Department? I'll never look at YARTs disdainfully again.

Brandon

#6689 09/20/00 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Department of Redundancy Department

OH! Brandon, I am ROFKFIA (I think!)!
You made me laugh out loud, at any rate! GREAT!
You made me laugh out loud, at any rate! GREAT!
She said dordily.

#6690 09/21/00 04:38 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

If Barbadians compile a dictionary of their language, foupe will presumably materialize there

Try Oxford's "Dictionary of Caribbean English Usage". No idea whether foupe is in there or not, but if anyone has access to a decent library ...

Bingley

Bingley
#6691 09/28/00 03:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm shakin' it, boss!
[obscure Paul Newman reference]

just bringin' it up to the top for judiq....

#6692 09/28/00 08:37 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
I'm shakin' it, boss!
[obscure Paul Newman reference]

Perhaps not as obscure as you think, Cool Hand tsuwm, although the boiled-egg-eating scene is probably what people remember most.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 414 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith