Next Thread
Print Thread
#159521 05/07/06 04:30 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Can anyone explain in words of 25 syllables or less, without extensive jargon, for the edification of a non-blogger or non-geek what's meant by these terms

Please see also

http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/2061047723

Thanks kindly all

dalehileman
#159522 05/07/06 07:42 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Dunno if this is what you’re looking for Dale, but this would be my take.

1. ‘web’ is referring to the whole infrastructure and indeed metastructure of the wired world we now take for granted;
2. The numbering system references the common coding of software releases (in the form ‘major.minor’ – for example, Windoze 3.1 would be the first tweak of a major third revision);
3. The proffered description of 1.0 and 2.0 is trying to delineate a sea-change between two cycles of the web’s development, with a clear division marked by the wash-out of all the so-called bubble business founded in the hysterically over-capitalised dot com era;
4. The key characteristic that the proponents of this model are drawing attention to is the tendency of more recent thinking to be much more user-centred and pull~ rather than push~modelled in its operation – for example, you used to be able to just log onto various news sites around the world, but can now set up a thing called an RSS feed that will selectively and automatically download your personal choice of material from loads of sites – perhaps a sports column from one site, a couple of varied news feeds, a columnist whose writing you enjoy, a cartoon strip, a blog entry…

What the difference boils down to is that companies or individuals who want to extract value from the web under the entirely nominal ‘web 2.0’ scenario need to come to terms with the users being far more in control of content and processes than in the earlier days of the web when we were just grateful that computers could talk to each other at all!

Last edited by maverick; 05/07/06 07:43 PM.
#159523 05/07/06 08:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sorry mav, but that is more than 25 words..

try again

first there was the web (web 1.0)

it got improved--collectively and it changed. it became more powerful and in some ways harder to use.

it got more users (who knew nothing about it) so it changed again, (to be simpler.)

the powerful (but hard to understand stuff is still there) but most users don't know anything about that stuff, because there is an over layer (that is less powerful) but easy for know nothings to use.

lump all the changes together, and it got called web 2.0

(i know its still more than 25 words, but...)

what that saying about any technology that is complex enough, looks like magic? (to people who don't (or don't want to) understand the underligning technology)

in the mid 80's, as i set about learning some of the technology of computers, i studied components. (i.e, j/k flip flops a kind of switch) we covered them in less than a week.
15 years before (early 1970)my then BIL did his masters thesis on J/K flipflops.

surprizing though, i had almost as good an understanding of j/k flip flops as my (then) BIL.

thing change.. new technology becomes familiar.. and with each application, its easier to understand how they work.

On Ramps didn't exist before highways..

same with off ramps.

drive a bit, and its easy to recognize old highways (in NY area, parkways)

now days, even kids play mats that are maps for their toy cars have on ramps and off ramps..

what was once cutting edge technology is understood by kids.. (but in reality, planning a highway, and the space, and the details of on ramps and off ramps is much harder!--understanding optimal arc for a cloverleaf or how long to make an accelleration strip, and other details (since many on off ramps lead to highways that are crossing, (overhead or below!)the main road..

on ramps are simple to use.. its rare a driver is confused, but designing them (and understanding what makes a good one, and why) is harder..

the web is easier to use.. its harder to understand.

#159524 05/07/06 09:01 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Thank you both for the interpretation; now I'm catching on

Helen: Well, not really. What I said was "25 syllables"

dalehileman
#159525 05/09/06 03:49 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
For what it's worth, here's a def from UD

Interactive media theory where an infrastructure focusing on content creation, management, and dissemination is built for the user to generate that content in a community framework.

Urban Dictionary falls under the Web 2.0 theory because they built an infrastructure to create, manage, and disseminate the definition of slang terms generated by the user and ranked by the community--Jason D. Schwartz

dalehileman
#159526 05/11/06 09:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, if I'm undestanding what "Web 2.0" is being defined as, it sounds like something that the academics called the "semantic web" way back at the turn of the century.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#159527 05/12/06 03:03 PM
M
addict
addict
M
"Semantic web" is all about making the webs that are "computer readable" (the data is semantically parsable) where most people would apply the buzzword "Web 2.0" to things that make it more "user friendly". Almost diametrically opposed concepts - most people's mySpace pages would cause any self-respecting computer to blow its brains out.

#159528 05/12/06 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They certainly seem to be catching a lot of criminals because of that site.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith