Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
I'm confused about virgin and extra-virgin food and fibre.

I've seen bottles of "virgin" and "extra-virgin" olive oil. What does this mean? I have my suspicions: is it to do with the first harvest each year? or is it more to do with the processing of the fruit to get the oil? (in which case, is "extra-virgin" olive oil what you get after the first pressing? or after the ultimate pressing? how many pressings do olives get, anyway?!)

Then there's "pure virgin wool" (and no, "pure virgin" is not necessarily redundant!). What does this mean? Again, I have my suspicions: is it to do with the first shearing of a sheep? and if so, is it the first shearing in its lifetime? or, like, what?

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
The extra-virgin oil comes from the first squeezing of the olives, then there are subsequent squeezings (virgin), and then some more, with chemicals added to help the process of obtaining oil, having oil of lower and lower quality
From the "cuore verde d'Italia"= green heart of Italy (full of olive trees)
Emanuela

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
As a tired old joke, virgin wool comes from the sheep that r;un the fastest. Actually I think
means that it has not been blended with reprocessed wool from old garments or wool from tad
balls or off bushes in pasture.

M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
virgin wool comes from the sheep that r;un the fastest

Well, Nunca Bill, it sounds as though that's probably a pretty accurate definition...! given what you went on to say. Sounds as though virgin wool is simply wool that was actually shorn off a sheep? (as opposed to collected from other sources)

and thanks for your explanation too, emanuela - now I know what kind of olive oil I want to get! (cold-pressed extra virgin. Must...resist...temptation...!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Problem with this choice is it smokes at a lower heat and is not so good for cooking in. It's the choice for salad oil or to drizzle over your veggies or pizza or whatever. Don't fry your eggs in it. I think it's a better source of omega-3s but the lovely ASp will be a better source for that info.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I can't remember and can't find on internet name of very toxic substance that can be fomed
in smoking oil. If it smokes, don't inhale it. Ventilate kitchen well.

M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Thanks, Faldage and Bill. I was only thinking of going as organic as possible....So what is the most-organic (or is organic an absolute?! I could be headed for trouble here...) kind of olive oil that works for cooking?

cold-pressed extra-virgin for salads and drizzling; what for cooking?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear MG: There is a lot of mis-information in the praise of "organic" foods. Read what the
debunkers say as well as what the true believers say. Be healthily skeptical.

M
old hand
old hand
M
In an effort to remove this discussion away from a simplistic erotic plane I, high minded, would like to say that the PARTHENIAN nature of the squench is of no concern to a boy that is good, or, in the parlance, a good ole boy.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think the pressing has much to do with the organicity of the oil. I'ts all in the growing. And you can say what you want about the good or bad features of organic; the bottom line for me is that modern organic food tastes a whole lot better than factory grown or food that is soaked in pesticides. Much of the bad mouthing of organic is based on older methods that produced inferior product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith