Next Thread
Print Thread
#73580 06/19/02 10:18 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I have always wondered how a zipper on a pair of pants (or trousers) came to be called a "fly."

#73581 06/19/02 10:47 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear porfavor: The word "fly" for fold of cloth for closure of trousers originated long before
zippers were invented. My trousers had buttons until I was in highschool. The zipper is a wonderful
invention. Here is part of AHD about fly, pl flies. Note def. 2, sqq.:

1. The act of flying; flight. 2a. A fold of cloth that covers a fastening of a
garment, especially one on the front of trousers. b. The fastening or opening
covered by such a fold. 3. A flap that covers an entrance or forms a rooflike
extension for a tent or the canopy of a vehicle. 4. A flyleaf. 5. Baseball A fly
ball. 6a. The span of a flag from the staff to the outer edge. b. The outer edge
of a flag. 7. A flywheel. 8. flies The area directly over the stage of a theater,
containing overhead lights, drop curtains, and equipment for raising and lowering
sets. 9. Chiefly British A one-horse carriage, especially one for hire.

#73582 06/20/02 03:12 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Hi porfavor, welcome to AWADtalk!

wwh is right - that opening in the trousers was called a fly long before the zipper came along. In fact, it was called "flies" - eg, "your flies are undone" - and I suspect, thought I'm guessing here, that the expression arose from the fact that the flap was done up with buttons, which perhaps were equated with actual flies (of the insect variety) because of their size....

Anyone like to correct me on this? is it just me being wildly creative or is there a grain of truth in what I say?

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#73583 06/26/02 01:40 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
The word "fly" for fold of cloth for closure of trousers originated long before zippers were invented.

Indeed so, as confirmed by an old limerick:
.....There was a young girl of Darjeeling
.....Who could dance with such exquisite feeling
.....Not a murmur was heard,
.....Not a sound not a word,
.....Save the fly-buttons hitting the ceiling.

The zipper was first exhibited at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, but it was largely ignored and impractical. (The postal service ordered a few zipper mail bags, but the zippers jammed so frequently that the bags were discarded.) The U.S. Army used an improved zipper design on clothing and equipment during World War I. At the time the zipper was principally a closure for boots, given the manufacturing difficulty of producing a functional zipper small enough for use on other clothing. It did not became a common clothing fastener until the late 1920's, and in 1935 became a fashion craze, with clothing decorated with zippers that were colorful, decorative and completely non-functional.

Whence the word zipper? In 1923 B. F. Goodrich Company (now a major producer of tires) came out with rubber galoshes with a zipper closure. Mr. Goodrich himself coined the word zipper as an echoic name, from the zip sound the zippers made.

#73584 06/26/02 01:43 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Go away, Keiva. You are not welcome here.

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#73585 06/26/02 02:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
trick 6- the sexual slur

Indeed so, as confirmed by an old limerick:
.....There was a young girl of Darjeeling

Amazing how many bawdy limericks you know.. and how compelled you are to post them .

Oh, i know, you claim but its a word related post.. and the history of zippers might have a purpose.. but the limerick? just another dig, nothing to do about words. you really have a pathological need to put women down, don't you?
well, we know your tricks, we know how you were banned and forced you way back.
Go away. You, and your constant demeaning remarks about women are not wanted.

#73586 06/26/02 01:05 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: you are unwelcome in AWADtalk.

#73587 06/27/02 09:23 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
A flap that covers an entrance or forms a rooflike
extension for a tent or the canopy of a vehicle

Hmmm, I'd always thought a "flysheet" was so-named because it kept of flies . Which wouldn't be a very healthy association in the current context.

Now I can see that what most of the pertinent definitions have in common is that one bit of material/cloth lies (or flies) over other bits of material/cloth.

So thank you, I've learned something today

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith