Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L

I am underwhelmed by the enormous ego of Anu Garg's replacement. Bruce Seyla has used the AWAD platform to let us know that he is a judge with an enviable classic education and links to the Ivy League, and from his URL, that he expects to be addressed as honorable.

But what tops his chutzpah is that whereas Anu stays in the background focusing on the words themselves and showing their usage from a global assortment of sources, Selya examples all come from his own legal opinions, convoluted in order to slip words unknown to the unwashed! The world cannot be that narrow!

How could I temporarily suspend my subscription to AWAD, until we welcome back our irreplaceable Wordsmith-in-chief?

T
veteran
veteran
T
Welcome, stranger, any friend of Anu Garg is a friend of mine.

And you express yourself well, succinct and to the point. So why don't you continue posting on this open forum your protests against the annoyances of the big ego of the new guy named Bruce.

Your only other choice to to go away and sulk.

Last edited by themilum; 07/18/07 10:07 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Last 10 words

How could I temporarily suspend my subscription to AWAD, until we welcome back our irreplaceable Wordsmith-in-chief?

You could make a filter on your email that trashes the AWAD emails and unmake it at the end of the week, you could just ignore them and trash them on your own, you could accept the fact that some people, by virtue of their position in society, are addressed by certain honorifics, or you could read the initial AWAD email for the week and note that this guest Wordsmith was chosen for the use of words in his own legal opinions. Or any combination of the above. Your choice.

veteran
veteran
I would not presume to tell you how you should feel; however, I can't help but feel odd about your bringing this up.

I have taught my children to use Sir and Ma'am, but to also refer to adults by their given names instead of as, e.g., "Mr. Smith."
Sometimes they will refer to the woman of the household as "Miss Barbie." But generally, they will address adults as "John" or "Jane." Teachers are the exception, but my oldest, for example, is a HS student attending the physics club at a local university. She usually refers to the professors running it by "Joe" and "Harold."

Sometimes, however, adults will say to them "I prefer that children address me as 'Mr. Smith'" and of course the kids will comply. I don't consider them to be rude for stating their preference, or pompous, or egotistical. In fact, I (and my kids) appreciate that they don't let this bother them and fester, but just state their druthers up front. It's very simple and mature, I think.

As for the judge giving examples from his own experience - I appreciate it. If you don't, then please just delete the mailings for the remainder of the week. Also, I hope we occasionally have other guest wordsmiths and that they, too, will use examples from their own experiences.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To each his own, I guess; see Thank God for judges like the honorable Bruce M. Selya; those of us who read their decisions find them refreshingly welcome! in the Latin thread, this topic.

As far as I am concerned, Anu's judgement is good enough for me*, although I always hate having any guest Wordsmith because it means Anu isn't here.

*Just in case that wasn't clear: YES that was a hint! [glower e]

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: Last 10 words
and from his URL, that he expects to be addressed as honorable.

Based on the fact that his email address is at uscourts.gov, it's a work email probably assigned by the network administrator.

Stay out of the military. I know several people who expect the use of such honorifics as Master Sergeant, Major, Caption and Colonel. Of course, as with most ALL such ego driven justification, they've put in the time and effort to warrant said title. Sort of like doctors...

This isn't respect, it's social lubrication. Just as I would never refer to a Kate as a Katherine, use of titles when requested displays your own manners!

tempus edax rerum
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
You are right Faldage. Perhaps the best way is to put a filter to oust self-referring Selya. I will do that and I'll stop my bitching.

That way when AWAD resumes I'll know happier times are here again. It is just that I do not enjoy pompous esses gladly. My surprise is that so many do!

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
AWAD is not the military or the diplomatic service, it is more like a gathering of friends toasting the English language.

When I go to court I have no qualms in addressing him or her as Your Honor, or when I go to a medical appointment I call the physician, Doctor. No problem here. But when I chat over the backyard fence with my neighbour, a highly reputed neurosurgeon, we call each other by first names. There is a time and a place...

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L

In Venezuela, everyone who can wash his/her face is addressed by a title. "Seņor Doctor" is anyone with a BS or BA degree. Even if all one has under the belt is a high school diploma, there is always the term "Seņor Licenciado" to make you feel important.

Luckily this is not pervasive in Latin America.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith