wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
sans-culotte
n.
5Fr, lit., without breeches: (see SANS & CULOTTE)6
1 a revolutionary: term of contempt applied by the aristocrats to the republicans of the poorly clad French Revolutionary army, who substituted pantaloons for knee breeches
2 any radical or revolutionary
sans#-cu[lot$tic or sans#-cu[lot$tish
adj.
sans#-cu[lot$tism#
n.
sans = French word = without

sapid
adj.
5L sapidus < sapere, to have a taste: see SAP16
1 having a taste, esp. a pleasing taste; savory
2 agreeable to the mind; interesting; engaging
sa[pid[i[ty 7s! pid4! tc8
n.

sapiens - epithet to distinguish today’s humans from earlier presumably less intelligent hominids
A saprobe is an organism that derives its nutrition from the dead remains of other organisms

sapropelic - derived from deposits of algae and fungi

sapsucker - a bird. A yellowbellied sapsucker is not a cowardly………..
sarcolysis - disintegration or dissolution of muscle tissue

sarcoma
n.,
pl. 3mas or 3ma[ta 73m! t!8 5ModL < Gr sarkbma < sarx, flesh: see SARCASM & 3OMA6any of various malignant tumors that begin in connective tissue, or in tissue developed from the mesoderm
sar[co#ma[to4sis 73tb4sis8
n.
sar[co4ma[tous 73t!s, 3k9m4!38
adj.
sardonic
adj.
5Fr sardonique < L sardonius < Gr sardonios, altered after Sardb, SARDINIA6 disdainfully or bitterly sneering, ironic, or sarcastic !a sardonic smile"
—SYN SARCASTIC
sar[don$i[cal[ly
adv.
sardonic - 1638, from Fr. sardonique, from L. sardonius, from Gk. sardonios "of bitter or scornful laughter," altered from Homeric sardanios by influence of Sardonios "Sardinian," because the Greeks believed that eating sardonion ("Sardinian plant") caused facial convulsions resembling those of sardonic laughter

sardoodledom - a clumsily contrived melodramatic plot

sarothrum, Latin for broom

sashay
vi.
5altered < CHASS=6
1 to do a chass= in a square dance
2 [Colloq.] to move, walk, or go, esp. in a casual way
3 [Colloq.] to move, walk, etc. in such a way as to show off or attract attention
chass=
n.
5Fr, lit., a chasing, orig., pp. of chasser: see CATCH6 a rapid, gliding dance step forward or sideways
vi.
3s=d$, 3s=4ing to perform this step

sashimi - raw fish as food. If you care to risk getting parasitic infection. Not for me.

sashless -
frameless glass sashes which are counter balanced with each other and overlap 100mm at the centre, giving a clear uninterrupted view.

sash 2
n.
5taken as sing. of earlier shashes < Fr chGssis, a frame: see CHASSIS6
1 a frame holding the glass pane or panes of a window or door, esp. a sliding frame
2 such frames collectively
vt.
to furnish with sashes

Sasquash - a hoax , reporting findings of a reclusive oversized hominid in NW US
satanic, satiny, satirically, satisfaction,

satori
Usually the tentative definition of satori is stated to be the direct experience of realizing the nature of Mind, this being the same as our Buddha-nature.

satrapy
n.,
pl. 3trap[ies 5Fr satrapie < L satrapia < Gr satrapeia6 the government, authority, or province of a satrap

saturable ,Saturnian, saucerless,

Sauternes
n.
5Fr sauternes, after Sauternes, town in Gironde, France6
1 a sweet white wine produced in SW France near the Bordeaux region
2 [often s3] any of various white wines, of varying sweetness, produced elsewhere: also Sau[terne 7sb t%rn$, 3tern$; sC38
sautoir - the only thing I could find was a Chef’s site, with dictionary that listed only sauté. My guess is
that a “sautoir” is a pan for this purpose.

savagely, savagery,

savarin - an eponym, famous chef Brillat-Savarin of a hundred years ago

sawbuck - to cut firewood, it is necessary to have a support for the wood being cut. Two “X” shaped
parts support at least four cross pieces. The tendollar bill, haing and “X” on it, had slang name “sawbuck”

sawhorse = sawbuck

sawtooth

saxhorn
n.
5after A. J. Sax (1814-94), Belgian inventor6 any of a group of valved brass band instruments, with a full, even tone and a wide range

saxicolous l!s8
adj.
5< L saxum, a rock (see SAXATILE) + colere, to dwell + 3OUS6 Biol. living on or among rocks Also sax[ic$o[line# 73ljn#, 3lin8

saxifrage
n.
5ME < MFr < L saxifraga < saxum, a rock (see SAXATILE) + base of frangere, to BREAK: prob. from growing in rock crevices6 any of a genus (Saxifraga) of chiefly perennial plants of the saxifrage family, with small, white, yellow, purple, or pinkish, flowers, and leaves massed usually at the base of the plant
adj.
designating a family (Saxifragaceae, order Rosales) of dicotyledonous plants found chiefly in the North Temperate and Arctic zones, including the currants and gooseberries

scabby

scalar

#106965 07/03/03 05:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sardoodledom?

formerly known as etaoin...
#106966 07/04/03 01:58 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sardoodledom...and all this time I've assumed that a 'melodramatic plot' was siimply a melodrama--untie the maiden in distress from the railroad tracks and all that great chewing of the scenery...losing the farm...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"You must pay the rent!"
"I can't pay the rent!"
"You must pay the rent!"
"I can't pay the rent!"
"I'll pay the rent!"
"My hero..." (swoon)
"Rats! Foiled again."

[Hero and damsel ride off into sunset...]

#106968 07/04/03 07:38 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I wonder where the word *comes from. Can see doodle in there, fair enough. But the 'dom'? And the 'sar'? Don't know - it looks like clumsily contrived idiomatic grot.

#106969 07/05/03 04:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
first attested to GBS:

[f. blend of the name of Victorien Sardou (1831-1908), French dramatist + DOODLE n. + -DOM.]

A fanciful word used to describe well-wrought, but trivial or morally objectionable, plays considered collectively; the characteristic milieu in which such work is admired.

1895 G. B. SHAW in Sat. Rev. 1 June 725/2 (heading) Sardoodledom. 1897 in Ibid. 17 Apr. 410/2 It is rather a nice point whether Miss Ellen Terry should be forgiven for sailing the Lyceum ship into the shallows of Sardoodledom for the sake of Madame Sans-Gêne.
[©OED2]

(-dom = abstract suffix of state)

#106970 07/05/03 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thank you, sir.

doodledom.

#106971 07/05/03 06:51 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, now that we've sardoodled that sardoodledom, let's take a brief look at wwh's sawhorse=sawbuck.

First of all, wwh, thanks for a synonym for sawhorse. Never know when you're going to need a synonym.

But it makes me wonder about other possibilities. A sawstallion might be fun--kind of an apotheosis of a sawhorse.

Unless a sawlion.

A sawdragon? Why I suppose we could have a sawmenagerie if sawing amonst a company of carpenters. Which makes me think of a sawwalrus--that could be one with handles.

#106972 07/05/03 07:34 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I don't know which came first, the sawbuck,or the bucksaw. I used to use a bucksaw a lot for small branches that were a nusance to cut with chainsaw. I could do them
rapidly enough to make it practical. And the work was at a convenient height. And the blades with nitrided teeth cut
fast,last, and are cheap to replace. No more hand sharpening of bucksaw blades.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith