mitigate
vt., vi.
3gat#ed, 3gat#ing 5ME mitigaten < L mitigatus, pp. of mitigare, to make mild, soft, or tender < mitis, soft (see MIGNON) + agere, to drive: see ACT6
1 to make or become milder, less severe, less rigorous, or less painful; moderate
2 5< confusion with MILITATE6 to operate or work (against): generally considered a loose or erroneous usage
—SYN RELIEVE
mit$i[ga[ble 73i g! b!l8
adj.
mit#i[ga4tion
n.
mitral
adj.
5Fr < ModL mitralis < L mitra, MITER16 of or like a miter or the mitral valve

mitral valve
the valve between the left atrium and left ventricle of the heart, preventing a flow of blood back into the atrium during systole The valve so often damaged hy rheumatic heart disease.

mockado. n. ancient woollen fabric; inferior material; tawdry.

modulo - prep. with respect to a number that divides the difference of two other numbers without leaving a remainder

13. MODULUS - A key physical property than any user of a material will definitely experience. The modulus is basically the stiffness of the material, or more specifically, the modulus is the amount of force needed to deform a material a set amount. Modulus is measured in psi (pounds per square inch). Modulus can be measured in any mode of deformation, i.e., tension (stretching), compression, (crushing), flexing, (bending), or torsion (twisting). (If you can find a better definition, please post it.)

mofussil - apparently a Hindu word meaning hinterland district

moire 7mw9r, mCr8
n.
5Fr, watered silk < MOHAIR6 a fabric, esp. silk, rayon, or acetate, having a watered, or wavy, pattern
What lowbrow females who pronounc ‘chic” as “chick” call moiré

moir=
adj.
5Fr, pp. of moirer, to water < moire: see prec.6 having a watered, or wavy, pattern, as certain fabrics, stamps, or metal surfaces
n.
1 a watered pattern pressed into cloth, etc. with engraved rollers
2 MOIRE

moline
adj.
5< Anglo-Fr *molin= < OFr molin, a mill < VL *molinum, for LL molina, MILL1: from its resemblance to the iron support for the upper millstone6 designating a cross with each arm forked and curved back at the end !a cross moline"

mollify
vt.
3fied#, 3fy#ing 5ME molifien, MFr mollifier < LL mollificare, to soften < L mollis, soft (< IE *mUdu3, soft < base *mel3, to crush > MILL1) + facere, to make, DO16
1 to soothe the temper of; pacify; appease
2 to make less intense, severe, or violent
—SYN PACIFY
mol#li[fi[ca4tion
n.
mol4li[fi#er
n.

molybdenum
n.
5ModL: so named (1781) by K. W. Scheele (see SCHEELITE) after its isolation by P. J. Hjelm (1746-1813), Swed chemist < molybdaena, molybdenite, term used because of resemblance to lead ore < L molybdaena, lead, galena < Gr molybdaina, piece of lead < molybdos, lead6 a very hard, lustrous, silver-white metallic chemical element, used in alloys, points for spark plugs, etc.: symbol, Mo; at. wt., 95.94; at. no., 42; sp. gr., 10.2; melt. pt., 2,626UC; boil. pt., 4,612UC

I remember articles in Scientific American, showing pictures of large globules of a molybdenum
on the deep sea floor, where they could be easily collected in large quantity. However the demand
for it is rather small, mostly as alloying agent in special steels.

mombin

(mm´bn) (KEY) , any tree of the tropical genus Spondias of the family Anacardiaceae (sumac family). The plum-shaped fruits, 1 to 2.5 in. (2.54–6.38 cm) long, are much eaten in the tropics. They are spicy and slightly acid in taste and are eaten fresh, boiled, dried, or in preserves. Best known are the red mombin, or Spanish plum (S. purpurea), marketed chiefly in Mexico and Guatemala, the yellow mombin (S. mombin, called also hog plum or jobo), and the otaheite apple or ambarella (S. cytherea), found in both the Old and New World tropics. The local common names vary widely. Mombin is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Sapindales, family Anacardiaceae.