#98908 03/17/03 09:52 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
metanoia
In 1967, Laing published The Politics of Experience. Though not his best book, perhaps, it was the most popular, selling more than six million copies in the United States alone. At the risk of oversimplifying somewhat , Laing argued that mad people have regressed to a level of experience that precedes the acquisition of rudimentary distinctions between inner and outer, past and present, real and imaginary, good and bad, etc., but that their anguish and confusion may herald an inner voyage – termed metanoia – which under optimal circumstances, can result in the emergence of a more authentic and integrated way of being-in-the-world.

metheglin
n.
5Welsh meddyglyn < medd, MEAD1 + llyn, juice6 an alcoholic liquor made of fermented honey, often containing a spice or medicinal substance: a kind of mead

m=tier
n.
5Fr < OFr mestier, ult. < L ministerium: see MINISTRY6
1 a trade, profession, or occupation; esp., the work that one is particularly suited for
2 one‘s area of expertise or strength; forte

metropolitan
adj.
5LL metropolitanus6
1 of or constituting a METROPOLIS (senses 1 & 2)
2 designating or of a METROPOLITAN (sense 2)
>3 designating or of a population area consisting of a central city and smaller surrounding communities
4 designating or of a mother country as distinguished from a colony, territory, etc.
n.
1 a person who lives in and knows a METROPOLIS (senses 1 & 2) or one who has the characteristic attitudes and manners of such a person
2 5LL(Ec) Metropolitanus6 a) an archbishop having authority over the bishops of a church province b) Eastern Ch. a bishop ranking just below a patriarch
3 in ancient Greece, a citizen of a METROPOLIS (sense 3)

mhometer - in electronics, an ohm is the measure of resitance to flow of a current. A mho (ohm backwards) is measure of conductance.

microseism
n.
5< MICRO3 + Gr seismos: see SEISMIC6 a very slight tremor or quivering of the earth‘s crust
mi#cro[seis4mic 73sjz4mik, 3sjs4mik8
adj.

Micawberish - behavior resembling Dickens’ character, who quite unrealistcally expected good fortune to come to him

micraner - a real worthless word - a coinage meaning an abnormally small ant

microphakia - abnormally small size of lens of eye

milanaise, ŕ la [mee-lah-NEHZ]

A French cookery term for PASTA tossed with butter and grated cheese and topped with a tomato sauce made with shredded ham, pickled tongue, mushrooms and truffles.

minauderie - a display of affectation

mince 7mins8
vt.
minced, minc4ing 5ME mincen < OFr mincier < VL *minutiare < L minutus, small: see MINUTE26
1 to cut up or chop up (meat, etc.) into very small pieces; hash
2 to subdivide minutely
3 to express or do with affected elegance or daintiness
4 to lessen the force of; weaken, as by euphemism !to mince no words"
vi.
1 to speak or act with affected elegance or daintiness
2 to walk with short steps or in an affected, dainty manner
n.
MINCEMEAT
not mince matters to speak frankly
minc$er
n.

minification - to make small in appearance

minikin

5MDu minneken, dim. of minne, love: see MINNESINGER & 3KIN6
1 [Obs.] a darling
2 [Rare] anything very small and delicate
adj.
[Archaic]
1 diminutive
2 affected

#98909 03/17/03 10:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There seems to be a surface similarity of some varieties of insanity and shamanism. In some ways it seems to be a matter of control. An example would be schizophrenia. In the case of a schizophrenic, the sufferer typically does what the voices tell him to do; in the case of a shaman, the affected person has power over the voices. Whether these similarities hold up to the flashlight of scrutiny or evanesce into the swamp of coincidence may never be known by me. The premier work on the subject is Shamanism by Mircea Eliade and I have never been able to make it past page 3.

#98910 03/17/03 11:35 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: Scizophrenia is just not a single disease. and no nutty shrink talk therapy helps it a goddam bit. I think that the fact that drugs can help eventually determine where the anatomical, cellular, and chemical disturbances are. I worked as an attendant in the thirties, when you had no way of knowing when you might be viciously assaulted. The biggest single thing the drugs have done is to greatly diminish that problem.
I know very little about shamanism. Those guys couldn't even pass along than a fraction of what they learned. You mentioned control. Shamanism was a form of religion, and control is what is at the roots of all religion. The elite trying to control the slobs. Not entirely an esaggeration.
Incidfentally, where did ;everybody else go? The board is really dead today.

#98911 03/18/03 11:19 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not a single disease

The flashlight of scrutiny is not looking for a disease or a cure. And I agree, sort of, about the relation of shamanism and modern religion. What I'm wanting to establish is the idea that schizophrenia (and possibly other "mental disorders") is controlled and even used by the phenomena that shamanism comprises.

#98912 03/18/03 02:58 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Shamanism seems to me a form of mysticicm, a sort of brainstorming attempt to know God, and thereby control destinyh.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith