Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#178242 07/23/08 08:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Logistics

1. grey shrimp; caught in the North sea; through transport- center in Volendam to Marocco to be peeled; to Breskens to end up in London or Amsterdam.

2. seabass, caught in Turkey waters, to Breskens to Rungis-Paris, to Rotterdam, to Friesland way up North.

That's just some simple items . It can get far more complicated.
Which tells once more clearly that logistics has nothing to do with logic.

*Seabass swims about a 100 miles maximum in a life time, mostly turning round, staying in coastal areas. [Turkey to Friesland some thousand miles.]
Seabass moves over greater a distance dead than while alive.

*Price of sea brass 40 euro per kg bruto. For one fish very expensive but for the miles traveled, a trifle.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bruto

I love these Germanic (from Italian) financial terms, brutto and netto, for gross and net. Almost as good as die Razzia for 'police raid, roundup'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
M
M
Science has presented those of us who don't or can't purchase the more expensive species of fish with the opportunity to look down our noses a bit. Generally speaking, the lower a fish species is in the fish-eating-fish food chain, the less likely it is to contain amounts of elements and compounds harmful to humans. Omega fats have been found to provide beneficial health effects to humans. Now eaters of certain fish such as sardines that have been considered fare of lower classes, but which are both low in the food chain and rich in omega fat, can feel superior, but may instead feel inclined to benevolently counsel careless upscale consumers on nutrition and health. No variations in the viewpoints of the fish species in question have been observed.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: morphememedley
No variations in the viewpoints of the fish species in question have been observed.

Good for some?- as fresh sardines, absolutely very good food nice still have the low price. Highly preferable over tuna fish from Indonesia , that takes 12 days to get here. While beautiful fresh tuna can be bought in South of France village markets.
I brought up the subject after watching this program about the absurdities in the fish trade.
Same weird thing with the stuff they swimm in:~~~ water~~~
Perrier for New York and the Norvegian blue-bottle-water for France, where they have the Vichy and Evian, that is transported to Holland where thay have their own mineral water. Bottled water travels in a restless exchange from one place to another.
Water's just water.

Zmejzhd
 Quote:
brutto and netto
Bruto is not really the right word here, but how do you say a fish that has not yet been filleted?

Last edited by BranShea; 07/26/08 04:14 PM. Reason: fishy typo's
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
how do you say a fish that has not yet been filleted?

I'd call them unfilleted fish.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Allright, of course ,40 euro the kg. unfilleted. Sold!
Aye, "Fish is dearly bought". A famous quote from a famous
folk playwrite in the 19th century. Still used in everyday language for outrageous fees and tragedies at sea.

article

[Op Hoop van Zegen (Dutch for "Trusting Our Fate in the Hands of God"), is a Dutch play about a fishermen's tragedy , by Herman Heijermans.]

and this

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
how do you say a fish that has not yet been filleted?

I'd call them unfilleted fish.

I'd call them fish.

M
M
“… how do you say a fish that has not yet been filleted?

whole and head-on and bone-in, singly or in combination, are sometimes used to describe culinary fish that have not been filleted but may have been gutted.

Originally Posted By: BranShea
 Originally Posted By: morphememedley
No variations in the viewpoints of the fish species in question have been observed.

Good for some? …

I was taking a playful fish-slap at scientific studies of animals and at cruelty-to-animals awareness.

I can't sample viewpoints held by fish, but I can sample fish by eating them, and I do have some preferences. After a long run as a heavy consumer of sardines, then herring, I have nearly become addicted to salmon—particularly sockeye, which is available in these parts fully-cooked in three ounce bags. I've heard that this is a catastrophic year for wild salmon harvests, and I've been expecting salmon prices to skyrocket, yet I've been able to buy bagged sockeye salmon on sale, for less per unit than some brands of premium sardines, for weeks on end.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
 Quote:
whole and head-on and bone-in \:D

Looks like a line from a rap-song.

Yes, the salmon issue has been heavily discussed the last few years.
issue

Right,low price for sardines is good for many. Do not upgrade the good of the common man lest it will become expensive.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/26/08 04:13 PM. Reason: 1000zens of typo's
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd call them fish.

Come to reflect upon it, I'd call them fish when they're swimming around or served up, cooked or raw, as a meal, but to get one head, bones, and scales, I'd probably ask the fishmonger for the whole fish or by kind. "May I have the largish whole trout towards the front?"

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith